[EM] Why I prefer ranked-choice voting to approval voting

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 13:29:07 PDT 2016

Robert--

1. First, Burlington has special importance, as a city that showed interest
in a better voting system, and then experienced IRV's inadequacy.

So, Burlington is a place where, more than anywhere else, proposal of
genuinely good methods is particularly promising and called-for.

So, is there an already-existing
Organization or committee that is discussing voting system proposals for
Burlington?

How would one contact them?

2. All here agree that IRV isn't what you want. It's been shown that all of
the better methods we're discussing would have elected the Democratic, the
apparent CWs.
Therefore it isn't necessary to rule any of them out yet.

Approval, Score & Bucklin are simple, solid, and they all have
use-precedence. Approval in medieval Venice for a long time, Score in
Sparta, Approval again in electing the U.N. secretary-general,  & Bucklin
in at least 39 cities during the Progressive Era.

And I doubt that those are their only precedence instances.

Approval or Score was used for electing the Pope for quite a while.

Any Condorcet method has more complexity, & no use-precedence. Even if you
prefer Condorcet, why not first get  _some_ good method, some improvement.

Approval doesn't even need any new balloting equipment or count software.

Expense of changing to Approval: Zero.

Something completely new, more controversial & complicated could be
proposed later.

Michael Ossipoff

.