[EM] Why I prefer ranked-choice voting to approval voting

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 03:29:21 PDT 2016

The French presidential election isn't IRV though is it? It's just a two-round system - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_presidential_election,_2012 In such an election it's much clearer that you might not want to vote for your favourite in the second round than in IRV.
But Jameson, I think your centre squeeze illustration is a good one. I've seen many people (mainly on the Center for Election Science forum) saying that IRV is bad because there are situations where voting for your favourite results in a worse outcome for you, but without an explanation for the mechanism, and when and why anyone might know when not to rank their favourite top.
So as I understand it, you've got three candidates: L, C and R - C is the Condorcet winner. Someone's preference order might be L>C>R, but by submitting that ranking, C gets eliminated first and L could then lose to R in the run-off. But by ranking C first, C would be a sure winner over R in a run-off, so it's a safer vote, especially if your main priority is for R not to get elected.