[EM] More on MAS (version 3.0)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 08:30:39 PDT 2016

Still working on refining this. Here's version 3.1. I expect the final
version to be version 4.0, at which point the earlier versions and
numberings will be only a historical curiosity.

*Here’s how MAS works: you can give each candidate 0, 1, or 2. Any
candidate that gets a majority of 0’s is eliminated, unless that would
eliminate everyone. Of the remaining candidates, highest score wins. *

*Blank votes for a candidate are read as 0’s or 1’s. The proportion that
count as 0’s is equal to the proportion between the voters that didn't give
the candidate in question a 2, and those that gave a 2 to a candidate with
more 2's. *

This default rule gives exactly the result you'd get if blank votes were
counted as 0 only for voters who preferred a stronger candidate, under some
simple assumptions about which votes come from where: explicit votes of 1
for a given candidate are spread evenly among all voters who didn't give
them a 2; explicit votes of 0 come only from voters who preferred a
stronger candidate; every voter gives a 2 to exactly one "serious"
candidate; and all "nonserious" candidates get fewer 2's than "serious" ones.
You need simplifying assumptions like that so that counting can work by
simply tallying the votes of each type, without recording how they are
combined on each ballot.