[EM] MAS defined.

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 08:16:09 PDT 2016

I've edited the Chicken Dilemma Criterion article to include the following
introductory text:

> One type of election scenario which is particularly fraught is when there
> is a majority split into two subfactions (below called A and B), competing
> against a united minority (below called C) that is bigger than either of
> the subfactions. This scenario has been called the "chicken dilemma"
> because in many election systems, the two majority subfactions are in a
> situation that resembles the classic "chicken" or "snowdrift game
> (especially if voters are not sure which of the two subfactions is larger).
> That is, if we assume each faction has a single, coordinated strategy
> defined as "cooperate" (vote both candidates A and B above bottom) or
> "defect" (bullet vote, with only the favorite above bottom); and that each
> faction values its preferred choice at 10, its less-preferred choice at 8,
> and candidate C at 0, many voting systems lead to the following payoff
> matrix:
> cooperate defect
> cooperate 9, 9 8, 10
> defect 10, 9 0, 0
> *Fig. 2: Chicken with numericalpayoffs
> <http://wiki.electorama.com/w/index.php?title=Risk_dominance&action=edit&redlink=1>*There
> are various ways to deal with this situation. For instance:
>
>    1. Some voting systems, such as approval voting, ignore the problem.
>    Perhaps the assumption here is that it will be impossible to organize a
>    defection without prompting a retaliation, and thus that both sides will
>    prefer to cooperate. ("Mutual assured destruction"?)
>

>    1. Some voting systems, such as Majority Choice Approval
>    <http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Majority_Choice_Approval>, try
>    exploit the fact that each faction is not a single coordinated entity, but
>    a group of individual voters. The idea is that if a small number of voters
>    defect, they should be ignored; hopefully, in that situation, majority
>    cooperation will be a stable strategy.
>

>    1. Other voting systems, such as ICT
>    <http://wiki.electorama.com/w/index.php?title=ICT&action=edit&redlink=1>,
>    try to exploit the fact that in a real-world election, A and B are never
>    perfectly balanced; one subfaction is always larger. In this case, a voting
>    system can encourage the smaller group to cooperate by threatening to elect
>    C (punishing both groups) if the smaller group defects. The criterion below
>    is passed only by this kind of voting system.

MAS of course would be in group 2. Personally, I prefer group 2 to group 3,
because group 3 can misread a center squeeze scenario as a failed chicken
dilemma, and decide to "punish" the "betrayers" by electing the true
Condorcet loser.