[EM] Using Schulze Election Method to elect a flexible amount of winners

VoteFair ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Tue Oct 4 17:23:19 PDT 2016

On 10/3/2016 7:29 AM, Paul Smits wrote:
 > Now the question arose how we could use the Schulze method in a decision
 > where the amount of winners is also up for debate. ...

Single-winner methods, such as the Condorcet-Schulze method and the
Condorcet-Kemeny method, cannot be used to elect a second winner.  Why?

The voters who favor the most popular choice need to have their
influence reduced in order to correctly identify the second winner.

As explained here,

   http://www.votefair.org/calculation_details_representation.html

"Without this adjustment the same voters who are well-represented by the
most popular choice could also determine the second-place winner."

To understand this concept, imagine a group of participants who vote in
order to choose two events that will happen at the same time.  The
single-winner method can easily identify the most popular activity.  But
if the single-winner method is also used to identify the "second-most
popular" activity, then the second activity will not be well-attended
because most of the participants will attend the most popular activity.
  In the meantime, the remaining participants, who were outvoted, will
not be interested in the second activity, and they will be frustrated
that their preferred activity was not chosen as the second event.

I created VoteFair representation ranking to handle such situations.
Later, Markus Schulze created what he calls Schulze-STV to serve this
purpose.

The link above explains how VoteFair representation ranking works.  My
ebook "Ending The Hidden Unfairness In U.S. Elections" (which also
applies to other nations as explained near the end of the book) also
explains this concept.  It is available for most ebook readers, and I
priced it as low as allowed (which mostly just covers the download fee).

BTW, what many people overlook is the fact that "second-most popular"
has multiple possible interpretations.

If you have more questions, please ask.  And thank you for learning
about election-method reform!

Richard Fobes