[EM] Approval Voting and Long-term effects of voting systems

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue Nov 22 20:37:51 PST 2016

Subject: Re: [EM] Approval Voting and Long-term effects of voting systems

From: "Michael Ossipoff" <email9648742 at gmail.com>

Date: Tue, November 22, 2016 8:25 pm

To: "robert bristow-johnson" <rbj at audioimagination.com>

"Daniel LaLiberte" <daniel.laliberte at gmail.com>

Cc: "EM" <election-methods at lists.electorama.com>

> Robert--

> http://en.minguo.info/polling_station

i'm not gonna dink around at another forum.  i'm in too many the way it is.

> This is a big topic, and various issues have been raised. I'd like to

> address them all.

> First, it's good that you're willing to discuss these voting-system-choice

> issues, and not shut-out disagreeing opinion. I've been meaning to discuss,

> with people of Burlington, replacement alternatives for Plurality & IRV.
since 2010, we are back to Plurality with a top-two runoff if the winner doesn't exceed 40%.

> There are 2 main issues here:

> 1. The merit of Approval, vs rank methods.
yup.  and i shot down Approval right outa the gate because it inherently presents voters who want to be electorially effective a tactical problem that does not exist with RCV (and not meaning Rob Richie's definition of RCV).
only
simple ranked ballots (not Approval/Plurality nor Score) ask the voter only the necessary information, which is who is the candidate they prefer and what is their contingency preference.  it's easy and non-tactical for the voter to answer that.

> 2. Which rank-method
yes, we want the voter to have assurance that their preferences are acted upon without short-circuiting their own political interests.  and we want one-person-one-vote. (that means equal weighting of votes, it doesn't matter that i'm a fanantic for my candidate
over yours and you only mildly prefer your candidate over mine.  your vote counts just as much as mine.) we want nothing else attached to those preferences (such as weighting).
i can rank: 1. Mother Theresa; 2. Gandhi; 3. Stalin; 4. Satan;
and it means nothing of the relative
spacing of preference.  it only means that i prefer Mother Theresa over Gandhi (maybe only by a little) and Gandhi over Stalin (maybe by a lot) and Stalin over Satan.  if it came down to it (like this 2016 Prez election) and it was between Stalin and Satan, my full vote would go to Stalin.
 (unfortunately, two weeks ago Satan won, but i did my electoral best to stop him.) so i don't Borda telling me that my preference for Gandhi over Stalin is equal to my preference of Theresa over Gandhi.
Warren Smith's page on Burlington pretty well describes the textbook failure of IRV
when Condorcet would have solved the problem nicely.
Bucklin is just plain goofy.
so lessee.... ranked choice voting... exclude Borda, Bucklin, and IRV, what is left???
when there is no cycle (and i am not convinced cycles will be common at all in governmental elections with RCV)
then Condorcet decides the multi-candidate election in the same manner as would Simple Majority (with one-person-one-vote weighting) between the leading candidate and any other candidate.  that is the natural voter aggregate preference.  IRV sometime hits it (if the CW makes it into the
final round, IRV will elect the CW) but not always.  it missed it in Burlington the second time we tried it.  this was because IRV does well with a spoiler who his *not* a contender.  but this 3-way race was tight enough that the spoiler lead until the final round and, along with the
IRV winner, prevented the CW from advancing to the final round.
but the voters whose favorite was the spoiler (the GOP), those voters by 3 to 1 preferred the CW (the Dem) over the IRV winner (the Prog) and if only about 430 of them insincerely bumped up their second choice to number 1, then
they could have prevented their most disliked candidate from being elected.  IRV served the interests of the liberal majority because we didn't have to agonize over which of the two liberal candidates because we were able to cover our asses with a second choice of the two.  but the
conservative minority would rather see a Dem than a Prog, but their very action of ranking the favorite candidate (the GOP) as number 1 actually caused the Prog to win.  that is an arithmetic fact.
so no Plurality, no Approval, no Score, no Borda, no Bucklin, and no IRV.  what does
that leave??

> ...(recognizing that activists & organizations & activists prefer

> rank-methods, and that some overecompromisers & rival parties are likely to

> vote better with rankings than with Approval.)
that's a ridiculous characterization of the RCV supporters.  what we want is
1. no need for tactics.  simply vote our sincere preferences.
2. one person one vote (equal weighting of votes)
3. and when more voters
prefer Candidate A to Candidate B than the contrary, we don't want Candidate B elected.
i still don't know how anyone can argue with that.
> I feel that #2 is the more practical & important issue. But #1 is important
> too, at least partly because of Approval's unmatched easy & entirely

> cost-free implementation.
RCV is easier.  and the cost of implementation is the same.  (the cost of reprogramming the voting machines.)

> I'll discuss these issues as they come up in this post that I'm replying

> to, rather than purposely separate them into separate sections of this

> post. But most of this post that I'm replying to is about #1, and so I

> guess that will be this reply's main topic.

> But, recognizing that people want, and many voters need, a ranking-method,

> I definitely want to discuss the choice of a rank-method, as an immediate

> practical municipal choice. Probably in an immediately subsequent post.
if it's anything other than Condorcet-compliant, i will dispute it.  but which Condorcet method, i am a little less invested in except it should be decisive on election day, it should be simple to understand
(which is why i lean toward Ranked-Pairs over our much venerated Schulze).
> So I emphasize: However little you like what I say about Approval, don't
> shut me out just yet, because I recognize that the choice-of-rank-method

> topic is really more important than the Approval-vs-rank topic, and I

> intend to address choice-of-rank-method next.
but you can't get past that inherent problem of an overt need for tactical voting when someone might like a second-choice.  and if no one has a second choice (or marks one), then Approval is Plurality.  you just cannot get away from
that inherent flaw.  and empty statements like "Approval does better than Condorcet in electing the CW" are just downright silly.

>> > ...except that IRV's national track record is one of 2-party dominance.

>> the national 2-party dominance exists independently of IRV

> Where IRV has been used for about a century, including for at least some

> state, and probably national, offices, 2-party dominance remains in place.
yes and 2-party dominance would remain in place without IRV.  so i do not see how you say that IRV promotes two-party dominance.

> Returning to discussion about reform in this country:

> I'm not saying that IRV can't be any good under any circumstances or

> conditions. ...only that it isn't always the best choice.
it's not the best choice, and i can pile on Rob Richie at least as much as you or anyone else.  it is both unfortunate and unnecessary to always package RCV with IRV and that is what FairVote does.  and they are not
honest about it (which was recently confirmed when they changed all of their lit from using "IRV" to using "RCV" in an attempt to rehabilitate the image.  Rob Richie will not tell constituents that there are other ways to tabulate ranked ballots than
IRV.

> You wrote:

> . in Burlington, we may have a 2-party dominance, but the GOP is not one

> of the two. and occasionally a GOP candidate is elected mayor and in 2009

> there was a legitimate 3-way (or 4-way if you include an Independent) race

> between candidates of whom none were dominant.

> [endquote]

> The broader contexts that Daniel brought up can't be ignored, and

> inevitably come up.. For example, should the method be chosen tailored for

> each particular municipality,
no.  this IRV vs. Plurality vs. Condorcet vs. Approval thing is **not** about which municipality.
>or, even in municipal reforms, should it be

> chosen for usefulness in state & national elections (even though it's much

> less likely for democracy to be achieved at state & national level)?
got just as good a chance as Approval.  i think Approval is dead-in-the-water with legislatures and such considering reform.

> (...but Maine's adoption of IRV suggests that maybe state democracy isn't

> entirely impossible, even now. Can that be?).
everything changes.  reforms eventually happen.  but RCV (which *is* necessary to finally level the playing field in the election) will be set back an entire generation if Maine's IRV has a hiccup like we did in Burlington.
 right now, Burlington has no interest in pursuing voting reform because the mood of the majority is that "we tried it, it didn't work right."  i would hope that Mainer's for reform wouldn't wanna repeat the mistake of Burlington (and FairVote).

> I suggest that, even when choosing a municipal voting-system reform, the

> method should be chosen for its usefulness at state and national level,

> because those levels are where the most broadly-important decisions are

> made.
yeah, of course.  it's a non-issue.

> That's relevant to this topic, because, nationally, the meaningful choice

> is between progressive candidates & parties, vs Republocrat candidates.

> Could there be any easier choice? Hence my emphasis on the situation where

> the voter has a strong top-set and a strong bottom-set. ...as every

> progressive voter does, given the current candidate lineups. And I claim

> that the 99% would benefit greatly from a progressive (rather than

> Republocrat) government. ...and therefore has a strong top-set and a

> strong bottom-set.
what's more likely is that the voter has a strong top-choice and a tepid second-choice and a hated bottom-choice.  the voter does not want to see their second choice beat their top-choice.  (notice that i am not going with your "set"
semantic.)

>> > That well characterizes what happened in Burlington, but IRV doesn't

>> > violate Later-No-Harm. ...or Later-No-Help either.

>> well, note that there were no caps. i wasn't referring to

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Later-no-harm_criterion but i *was*

>> referring to 1500 voters who were promised that they could vote for their

>> favorite candidate without worrying about helping elect their least

>> favorite candidate and found out after the election that this was not true.

>> the promise of IRV had failed. these voters' political interests were

>> harmed by their expression of their most favorite candidate.

> I see what you mean. Yes, certainly. Everywhere where Richie & his FairVote

> promoted IRV, most likely those same false promises were made, and IRV's

> problems were concealed.
it literally had a spoiler problem when it was promised to be spoiler free.  but that promise only served the liberal majority (who didn't have a painful choice between Dem and Prog), but it did not protect the conservative minority who helped elect the Prog
by marking GOP as #1.  that made them mad.

> Some of us have been trying to explain to Rob Richie, over the past 30

> years, IRV's problem.
i am one of those persons.  i have had at least a dozen email exchanges with Rob since 2009.
> Over that time, we've been telling Richie about the

> very problem that happened in Burlngton. He can't say he hadn't heard about

> it or didn't know about it.
oh, he won't say that today.  Rob is well aware of the fact that there was a clear CW in Burlington 2009 that IRV did not elect.  and he is well aware that Burlington repealed IRV the following year. (i voted to preserve IRV so we could preserve the
ranked ballot and reform the tabulation method.)

>> > IRV is a good method. But don't advocate or adopt it unless you

>> understand,

>> > accept and want its problem, and its unique offering and tradeoffs. IRV

>> > isn't for everyone.

>> no, no, no, no...

>> we don't go to the general public and say that. we, instead, try to

>> deliver to them a means of electing a candidate out of a field of many, in

>> such a way that, given one-person-one-vote weighting, these voters are

>> **relieved** of worry about "understanding" how using or failing to use

>> tactics will harm their political interests.

>> that's what you don't get, Mike.

> No, I agree completely.

> My goal at EM has been to emphasize the importance of making voting easy

> (less strategic difficulty), and making sincerity safe.

> There's good reason to believe that, just as you said, IRV doesn't fill the

> bill.

> I don't advocate IRV, and I wouldn't include it in a multi-method proposal.

> [Replying a little farther down] :

>> > In Burlington, you repealed it because you didn't like its elimination

>> of a

>> > CWv. Then why did you adopt it???

>> > You didn't know that it could do that?

>> > Did FairVote assure you that it would never happen?

>> yes, FairVote assured the citizens of Burlington that they could vote for

>> their favorite candidate without worry of electing their least favorite

>> candidate. but 1500 voters for the GOP (that also hated the Prog) found

>> out that they could have prevented the election of the Prog had they

>> insincerely elevated the Dem to first choice. but that would not have

>> happened with Condorcet.

> As I mentioned above, we've been explaining about that to Rob Richie for

> the past 30 years. Could have have not known about it? So: ignorance, or

> intentional concealment?
it's intentional.  Richie knows what happened, but he believes that Condorcet has no chance of adoption while IRV does (especially clothed with a new acronym, "RCV") and that IRV is better than Plurality.  that's Rob's position.

>> <<gobbledigook deleted>>

> Part of the "gobbledigook" is about IRV's mitigations, which admittedly

> aren't relevant to this discussion, because I don't advocate IRV, and

> because there's no way that Burlington would want IRV.

> But part of it is about Condoret's favorite-burial need, for some

> overcompromising voters.

> Also, it might be in that section that I described how Condorcet could meet

> FBC (and thus not have that favorite-burial need). ...and offered two rank

> methods that meet FBC and don't have a chicken-dilemma problem (Condorcet

> has chicken dilemma, as does Approval).

> You're of course not obligated to reply to any of that, but Condorcet's

> favorite-burial need is there. And the offer of a way to bring FBC to

> Condorcet is there, and so is the offer of two rank methods that meet FBC

> and don't have a chicken-dilemma problem.

> (Those two methods are Simmons ( MDDA(pt/2) ) and MMPO(pt/2).

> ...and also Kevin Venzke's IC, MMPO , bringing it to 3 methods)

> It's a mistake to assume that Condorcet is really free of strategy.
if there is no cycle, then Condorcet is really free of strategy.
the only strategy that some candidate might bring is to insincerely mark ballots (in large quantity) in order to push an otherwise normal Condorcet
election into a cycle.  but it's so esoteric (and danger of back-firing), that i don't believe anyone would try that strategy.

> Maybe I should say something here about ordinary Condorcet's

> favorite-burial need:

> Say that you top-rank Compromise, and 2nd-rank Favorite. Compromise is

> going to win as CWv (voted CW).

> But then you (and a few other voters who vote like you) decide to rank

> Favorite at top, along with Compromise.

> Oops!

> By voting Compromise over favorite, you had been keeping Favorite from

> pair-beating Compromise. But now that you've moved Favorite to top, you're

> no longer voting Comprmise over favorite. Now Compromise pairwise-beats

> favorite. It happens that Worst pairwise-beats Compromise, and that Worst

> is the winner of the resulting cycle.
it requires pushing it into a cycle.  that is mathematically not an easy or obvious thing to do.  and you have to be in the position to do it (like being a Nader voter who prefers Bush over Gore).
it's not a likely scenario.  not
a convincing objection to Condorcet.

> By moving Favorite to the top with Compromise, you've changed the winner

> from Compromise to Worst.
it requires a cycle.  and none of you guys convince me that a cycle is in any way common or straight-forward to create.

>> Something similar can happen if, instead of winning as CW, Compromise was

> merely winning in a cycle, by having the lowest margin-against, if the

> method is Condorcet(margins).
you mean Ranked Pairs (margins).  or do you mean Schulze(margins)?
> By no longer ranking Favorite over

> Compromise, you could spoil that win too, by decreasing the Favorite >

> Compromise total, thereby increasing the margin by which Compromise

> pairbeats Favorite, giving Compromise now a higher margin-against than

> Worst has.

sigh.  (gobbledigook.)

> These scenarios can happen only if there's a sincere cycle.
right.  which will likely almost never happen.  and that is because voters on both extremes of the spectrum most often choose the centrist candidate as their second choice.  they do not normally choose the other
extreme as their second choice.

> That's because:

> If Compromise were the CWs (sincere CW), then your sincere ranking

> obviously can't hurt her win as CWv.

> If someone else is CWs, then, in Condorcet(wv) the only way you could

> chanage the winner from hir to Compromise would be by burial. (In

> Condorcet(margins) you could do it by truncation.)

> So there has to be a cycle.
yes.  and cycles are not and will not be common.  so the virtue of Condorcet over other methods should be considered mostly outside of the consideration of cycles.

> Sincere cycles are evidently rare (at least in the current (probably

> inauthentic) political system. Maybe in an authentic political system (one

> free of media disinformation and count-fraud) there wouldn't be a

> 1-dimensional political spectrum, and cycles wouldn't be unusual.

> Anyway, there are insincere cycles too. Strategic cycles. Burial strategy

> is by no means out of the question. Burial will make a cycle...like the one

> that Condorcet's FBC failure needs.
but it is not a "secure" strategy.  if some side wants to game the system to elect their candidate by causing a cycle, that means **they** (their own voters) have to organize to insincerely mark their ballots how??  by bumping down
their favorite?  NO.  by bumping up their 3rd favorite to their second choice.  that 3rd choice might be the candidate they hate the most.  it's quite a risk to bump up your most disliked candidate in a ruse to try to swing the election into a cycle.  and quite a stretch
that such a strategy will succeed at electing your guy that was otherwise not the CW.

> We've discussed, on EM, how you can protect the CWs from burial (in wv or

> margins) by moving that CWs up to 1st-place.
again, it requires people knowing in advance who the CW will be.  and then bumping that CW up over your favorite only serves to harm your favorite.  to what end?  to prevent Satan from election?
> But, if not enough
people do
> that, then you could need to rank the CWs over your favorite, to prevent

> successful burial of the CWs under your favorite.
if you want your favorite to beat the CW, whomever the CW is, what's wrong with that?  if burying the CW under your favorite has the effect of electing the least favorite candidate, that is too convoluted a strategy to depend on for
gain, considering the risk.

> Yes, if the method is Condorcet(wv) (but not Condorcet(margins),
you mean Tideman Ranked-Pairs, no?  or Schulze?
> the burial

> can likewise be thwarted (& penalized) if the people who prefer the CWs to

> the buriers' candidate refuse to rank the buriers' candidate.

> Of course then they need to know or guess who's the CWs, and who's going to

> bury. Yes, that's predictive information. Their defensive of the CWs is

> tactical strategy that depends on good predictive information.

> If you're going to use Condorcet, then you'd better be good at tactical

> strategy, and have good predictive information.
that's just not true and the gobblegook does nothing to support that.

> (Well, admittedly, the fact that you'll truncate the (guessed) buriers'

> candidate if you prefer the (guessed) CWs to hir can (but might not) deter

> burial, because the would-be buriers don't have better predictive

> information than you do.)

> But, if the expected or evident CWs (CWse) is in the would-be buriers'

> bottom-set, then they don't really care if their burial is penalized by the

> election of a different (negligibly worse) bottom-set member.

> What happens then? A burial-fest resembling a sharks' feeding-frenzy. I

> call it the "perpetual burial fiasco".

> 'Round about that time, you'd be wishing that the election were an Approval

> election.

> Let's not kid ourselves that Condorcet is free of strategy.
i suggest that you not kid yourself that any of your scenarios are likely.  if you want some good numbers, look at Burlington.  two straightforward elections with ranked ballots.  first time the IRV and Condorcet
winner was the same candidate.  second time there was *still* a clear Condorcet winner (even though he was not elected).  are you saying that some strategy was likely used to make the CW appear to be the CW when he was something else?  that is goofy.

> So:

> You can change the winner from Compromise to Worst by moving Favorite to

> top alongside Compromise. ...but also especially more likely by ranking

> Favorite over Compromise.

> As I said, burial strategy isn't out of the question, and the need to vote

> insincerely, as described above, isn't out of the question either.

> That's why some of us offer ranking-methods that meet FBC.

> That's why IC Condorcet is offered, to bring FBC to Condorcet.

> For instance, IC Condorcet could consist of IC RP.

> RP(wv) is much better than RC(margins), because RC(wv) is completely

> truncation-proof, whereas RC(margins) leaves the CWs completely vulnerable

> to truncation, whether strategic or innocent.

> Also, RP(margins) loses FBC in more scenarios than does RC(wv).

> Steve Eppley's MAM is just RC(wv) with Steve's clever way of avoiding some

> problems and meeting more criteria in small electorates.

> So, if you insist on Condorcet (and are therefore willing to give up

> chicken-dilemma protection), then consider IC MAM.

> The version of Condorcet Criterion that IC MAM meets is arguably better and

> more meaningful than the ordinary Condorcet Criterion.

> ...but while IC Condorcet meets FBC, it still has chicken-dilemma, as does

> Approval.

> So we offer MDDA(pt/2), MMPO(pt/2), and IC,MMPO.

> ...which meet FBC and don't have a chicken-dilemma problem.
blah-blah-woof-woof.
now i skipped over all of this gobbledegook above.

> [Replying a little farther down] :

>> > Approve only your favorite if you insist on voting tactically (based on

>> > predictive information) and if it looks as if your favorite has a win.

>> > Is that a problem to you?

>> **what** predictive information?? the polls??? have you learned nothing

>> in the last two weeks?

> There was nothing for me to learn in the past 2 weeks, because what

> happened in the past 2 weeks exemplifies what I've been saying all along.

plonk.

> You haven't been reading my postings,
can't imagine why i haven't been.  (consider the ratio of payoff to time invested.)

i am not reading a word below.  there is just too much crap and you still cannot answer my concise point about why Approval
*inherently* requires tactical voting.

so below is unread, Mike.  you need to learn how to separate the kernel from chaff to make your case.

r b-j

or you'd know that I'm the one who

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com