[EM] Trying to have CD, protect strong top-set, and protect middle candidates too

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 22:23:13 PST 2016

Forest--

You wrote:

> But MAI still fails FBC.

Failing both FBC & CD isn't good.

> So to me the best proposal is ICA with default approval cutoff at
> truncation to help punish burial and truncation with an option to raise the
> cutoff to withstand a CD attack.

But buriers or truncators could raise that approval cutoff too. Someone
could bury X under Z without having to approve Z. That loses the deterrence
that would exist if that burier had to approve Z in order to rank hir over
someone, as would be so if ranking is counted as approval.

So CD still comes at the cost of a lot less protection against burial, or,
in ICT's case, trunction too.

But that just means that it isn't _better_ than MDDTR in that regard. It
doesn't mean that it's worse.

And it doesn't have Mono-Add-Plump failure.

So, the method has CD as MDDTR does, and trades truncation-proofness for
Mono-Add-Plump.

I value strategy protections more than embarrassment criteria. (But I
realize that proposal-opponents can use embarrassment criteria criticisms,
and that proponents aren't likely to be able to afford as much media time,
to answer the criticisms.)

[Replying farther down] :

> Here's my version (slightly different from the original):
>
> Candidate X strongly beats candidate Y iff
>
> the number of ballots on which X is ranked over Y is greater than
>
> the number of ballots on which Y is *ranked* equal to or greater than Y.
>
> [Note Y is not ranked equal to X if Y is not ranked.]
>
> If not all of the candidates are strongly beaten, disqualify all of the
> ones who are.
>
> Elect the most approved qualified candidate.
>
> I think that this method has all of the good properties of MDDA with
> mono-add-plump to boot.

I've only had a preliminary look at it, but it seems to me, right now, that
the separate approval-cutoff that the voter can raise from the default
spoils protection from burial & truncation.

You wrote:

> We still need to explore MDDA with the half power truncation rule, since
> it would also satisfy mono-add-plump if I am not mistaken.

Yes, it seems to me that a 1/2 power-truncation would get rid of the
Mono-Add-Plump failure. If, by not ranking a certain 2 candidates, you give
them each at least half of a vote against eachother, that would bring
Mono-Add-Plump compliance, it seems to me.

So maybe it would avoid criticism of MDDA.

But, if used with MDDTR, it would spoil CD.

You wrote:

> I agree with Chris Benham that mono-add-plump failure would be fatal in a
> public proposal.

What if you're going to rank X last in your ranking. With all the ballots,
including yours, X will win. But then you move X to 1st place in your
ranking, and that makes X lose.

Would that be ok?

Michael Ossipoff