[EM] PAR is awesome part 1/2: FBC?

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Wed Nov 16 23:25:28 PST 2016

On 11/14/2016 1:48 AM, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> Suppose you have a scenario like the following:
> 19: A>B
> 11: ??? A or A>B ??? (more generally: either a bullet vote for A, or a
> vote with A top, B second-to-bottom, and all else bottom. In approval,
> then, this would be A or AB)
> 25: (ego faction; true preferences B>A)
> 45: C
>
> You are in the ego faction, and deciding whether to vote B>A or just B
> (or in approval, BA or B). If there is some combination of votes that
> the ego faction can give such that B wins in the case where the 11
> votes are B>A, but A wins in the case where the 11 votes are A, then
> there is a slippery slope; the ego faction can safely and profitably
> use a small amount of offensive strategy, which means that A voters
> should use slightly more defensive strategy, and then there's a cycle
> of escalation until both factions fall off the cliff and end up
> electing C.
>
> Is that clear now?

Jameson,

Much more than it was, thanks.  In the example you give, if the ???
cohort vote A>> B=C then under PAR if the "ego" faction gives Rejects to
A then C will win
and if they give Accepts or Prefers to A then A will win.

But is there a precisely worded criterion about this "slippery slope"
problem?  Is there anything non-arbitrary about the numbers you chose
for your example?

In your example there doesn't seem to be any problem if the method meets
Condorcet  or is IRV.

> MJ passes IIA.

I suppose if a losing "irrelevant" candidate is removed and the number
of ballots remain unchanged and no voters react by changing any of their
ratings
of any of the remaining candidates, then I suppose it might (in a
useless and abstract way).

The claim I've seen made that it also meets some version of Majority
involves a bit of goal-post shifting.

Chris Benham