[EM] [CES #15255] Re: PAR: nearly-equivalent rules

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 15:04:38 PST 2016

Yet another revision of the rules. This one fixes it so that, if no
candidates pass both thresholds, "accept" votes count.

Prefer Accept Reject (PAR) voting works as follows:

   1. *Voters Prefer, Accept, or Reject each candidate.* On ballots which
   don't explicitly use "Reject", blanks count as "Reject"; otherwise, blanks
   count as "Accept".
   2. *Of the candidates that are both "viable"* (at least 25% Prefer) *and
   "acceptable"* (no more than 50% reject), *the one with most "Prefer"s is
   called the leader.*
   3. Each "Prefer" is worth 1 point. For viable candidates, each "Accept"
   on a ballot which doesn't prefer the leader is also worth 1 point. *Most
   points wins.*

If I could do it without it sounding too complicated, I'd make it so that
explicit "accept" votes can count for non-viable candidates. But I don't
think it's worth even the minor extra complication it would take to explain
that.

Note that changing the above system so that it passes FBC requires only
giving a "prefer for the purposes of step 3, but count step 2 as if I
rejected" option.

I think this system is pretty great in outcomes; and that, while it's
certainly not the simplest method, it's not too complex.