[EM] PAR is awesome part 1/2: FBC?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 07:18:54 PST 2016

> On 11/13/2016 3:35 AM, Jameson Quinn wrote:
>
> What I mean is that if you take a non-election-theorist, present an
> election scenario to them, explain who won and why, and ask how they would
> strategize in the place of voter X, they are more likely to suggest
> counterproductive strategies, and less likely to see any strategies that
> actually might work, in Condorcet than in Bucklin-like systems.
>

> The strategy incentives for Condorcet voting methods vary widely.  Some
> have a random-fill incentive while others have a truncation incentive. Some
> have
> a stronger or weaker incentive to equal-top rank than others, and some are
> more vulnerable to Burial than others.
>
> Smith//Approval has a truncation incentive like Bucklin's, only less
> strong. In addition Bucklin has an equal-top rank/rate incentive.  I don't
> see the problem.
>
> BTW, why does it matter if "non-election-theorists" when asked suggest
> "counter-productive strategies"?  Shouldn't we be encouraging sincere
> voting?
> If they don't want to do that, why can't they just take the strategy
> advice of their favourites?

My concern here is that people will misuse strategy. I think that FBC and
IIA are good guarantees to be able to give, but also that these guarantees
are related to O(N) summability, which is basically saying "you can think
about what's going on in an election, it fits inside your head." PAR does
not have O(N) summability, but it can be done in 2 steps, each of them O(N)
summable, and each of them considered separately meeting FBC and IIA.

> 35: C >> A=B
> 33: A>B >> C
> 32: B>A >> C
>
> In Smith//approval, one vote alone would shift the above honest election;
> so the fact that it does not in PAR is indeed notable.
>

> I don't see why.  The example I gave just happened to have a close CW.
> PAR seems to give an A=B tie unless (as I assume) it breaks tied final
> scores in favour of the "leader" (A).
>
> In particular: in PAR, there is no way for the B voters to strategize such
> that they win the above election, while still ensuring that C does not win
> no matter what the A voters do.
>

> Of course, that is why it's called a "chicken dilemma".  In what method
> *can* "the B voters to strategize such that they win the above election,
> while still ensuring that C does not win no matter what the A voters do" ??

I think that you still don't understand what I mean by "slippery slope".
(Of course, once you do understand it, you're still free to disagree that
it's important.)

Suppose you have a scenario like the following:
19: A>B
11: ??? A or A>B ??? (more generally: either a bullet vote for A, or a vote
with A top, B second-to-bottom, and all else bottom. In approval, then,
this would be A or AB)
25: (ego faction; true preferences B>A)
45: C

You are in the ego faction, and deciding whether to vote B>A or just B (or
in approval, BA or B). If there is some combination of votes that the ego
faction can give such that B wins in the case where the 11 votes are B>A,
but A wins in the case where the 11 votes are A, then there is a slippery
slope; the ego faction can safely and profitably use a small amount of
offensive strategy, which means that A voters should use slightly more
defensive strategy, and then there's a cycle of escalation until both
factions fall off the cliff and end up electing C.

Is that clear now?

> MJ passes IIA. PAR fails it, as you say, but passes LIIA.
>

> As do some Condorcet methods. It isn't one of the criteria I care much
> about.
>
> As I understand it, IIA can only be met by methods that fail Majority
> (like positional methods that pretend that the voters' ratings are on some
> scale independent of the
> candidates).   MJ  is a variety of Median Ratings which is normally
> claimed to meet Majority.

IIA, when applied to a cardinal or categorical method, assumes that when
you remove a candidate, you simply delete that candidate from all ballots
and leave them otherwise unchanged.

The definition of majority used in the proof that IIA and Majority are
incompatible assumes otherwise. Thus, this proof does not apply to
non-ranked methods. Or perhaps one could say: it shows that a method cannot
pass IIA and ranked-majority. MJ does not pass ranked-majority, but it does
pass majority, so that's fine.

MJ does pass IIA.

> I would be a bit surprised if IIA can be met by a method (such as MJ and
> Bucklin) by a method that fails Irrelevant Ballots Independence.
>
> There is some rubbish about Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives (IIA)
> on Electowiki.  I'll address that in a later post.
>
> Chris Benham
>

> On 11/13/2016 3:35 AM, Jameson Quinn wrote:

>> On 11/12/2016 7:53 AM, Jameson Quinn wrote:

>>> On 11/11/2016 10:14 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:
>>>
>>> I think that simple PAR is close enough to FBC compliance to be an
>>> acceptable proposal.
>>>

>>> I'm afraid I can't see any value in "close enough" to FBC compliance.
>>> The point of FBC is to give an absolute guarantee to (possibly uninformed
>>> and not strategically savvy)  greater-evil fearing voters.
>>>

>> Yes. The guarantee you can give is "as long as the world is somewhere in
>> this restricted domain — that is, essentially, as long as there are no
>> Condorcet cycles and each voter naturally rejects at least one of the 3
>> frontrunners — this method meets FBC". This is much broader than any
>> guarantee you could give for a typical non-FBC method. For instance, with
>> IRV, the best you could say would be "as long as your favorite is
>> eliminated early or wins overall, you don't have to betray them", which
>> unlike PAR's guarantee is not something which could ever be generally true
>> about all real elections for all factions.
>>
>> C: I have in mind voters who are inclined to Compromise, and so it's *
>> absolute guarantee* or it's nothing.   Smith//Approval also has a much
>> lower Compromise incentive
>> than does IRV  (which in turn has a much much lower Compromise incentive
>> then FPP).
>>

>>> It elects the "correct" winner in a chicken dilemma scenario,
>>> naive/honest/strategyless ballots, without a "slippery slope" (though of
>>> course, this is no longer a strong Nash equilibrium).
>>>

>>> How do you have a "chicken dilemma scenario" with
>>> "naive/honest/strategyless ballots" ?
>>>
>>> 35: C >> A=B
>>> 33: A>B >> C