[EM] Holy grail: PAR with FBC?

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 10:12:44 PST 2016

Here's one example that is quite different from the previous one, but still somehow in line with my "crusade against negative votes and default better than bottom votes" :-) .

First preferences are 35:A, 35:B, 30:C. Preference orders are mixed. Opinion space is thus not linear.

Most A, B and C supporters reject their competitors in the hope of disqualifying them based on rule 2. There are more bullet voters among A and B supporters than among C supporters. Candidate C maybe recommended his/her supporters to explicitly reject A and B. As a result A and B will get more rejects (>50%) than C (<50%). Candidate C wins although he/she had less first preference support than A and B, it is not centrist (sincere Condorcet winner), most reject votes are strategic (not sincere), and C was the most strategic candidate.

The 25% prefer elimination limit is quite high. If there are no "near clones" that many voters prefer as equal best candidates, we may typically have max three candidates left after the disqualification round (unless all were disqualified and as a result none).

At least 20 of the A supporters and at least 20 of the B supporters reject other candidates (quite possible). Less than 50 of the A and B supporters (combined) reject C (quite possible). All C supporters reject other candidates (not probable but we could be quite close to that, and some additional rejects by A and B supporters would fill that gap). It seems that general rejection of competitors is a good strategy, and with three candidates of about equal strength, the number of strategic reject votes might easily determine the winner (instead of the number of positive sincere votes).

Any misses this time? :-)

BR, Juho

Definition of PAR:
Voters can Prefer, Accept, or Reject each candidate. Default is "Reject" for voters who do not explicitly reject any candidates, and "Accept" otherwise.
Candidates with a majority of Reject, or with under 25% Prefer, are disqualified, unless that would disqualify all candidates.
Each voter gives 1 point to each non-eliminated candidate they prefer; and any voter who gave no such points (because their preferred candidates were all eliminated) gives 1 point to each non-eliminated candidate they accept. The winner is the candidate with the most points.