[EM] PAR is awesome part 1/2: FBC?

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Fri Nov 11 09:50:05 PST 2016

On 11/11/2016 10:14 PM, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> I think that simple PAR is close enough to FBC compliance to be an
> acceptable proposal.

I'm afraid I can't see any value in "close enough" to FBC compliance.
The point of FBC is to give an absolute guarantee to (possibly uninformed
and not strategically savvy)  greater-evil fearing voters.

> It elects the "correct" winner in a chicken dilemma scenario,
> naive/honest/strategyless ballots, without a "slippery slope" (though
> of course, this is no longer a strong Nash equilibrium).

How do you have a "chicken dilemma scenario" with
"naive/honest/strategyless ballots" ?

35: C >> A=B
33: A>B >> C
32: B >> A=C  (sincere is B>A >> C)

In this CD scenario your method elects B  in violation of the CD criterion.

Since you are apparently now content to do without FBC compliance  and
you imply that electing the CW is a good thing,
why don't you advocate a method that meets the Condorcet criterion?

What is wrong with Smith//Approval?  Or Forest's nearly equivalent Max
Covered Approval?

Chris Benham