[EM] FBC, center squeeze, and CD

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 14:20:43 PDT 2016

How about this one:

Voters can give approval, conditional approval, or secret approval, or
disapproval.

Conditional approval is extended to a candidate C on a ballot that approves
A and B if C pairwise beats both A and B, counting approval>conditional
approval>secret approval or disapproval.

Highest total wins, where total is approval, conditional approval that's
extended, and secret approval.

I'm including secret approval above because without it, conditional
approval violates FBC. I'm using "pairwise beats" rather than "higher
unconditional approval" because it handles center squeeze.

I realize that explaining why secret approval is a thing makes this system
impractical as a concrete proposal. But then, you're the one who says FBC
is non-negotiable.