[EM] Anti-defection strategy device for IBIFA

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 10:09:43 PDT 2016

Chris's Conditional Bucklin, and 3-Slot ICT are chicken-dilemma-proof, and,
with CD & FBC, they're methods that should be on any proposal-list.

But their shortcoming, for me, is that, other than beating C in the
chicken-dilemma example, you aren't really giving full general support &
protection to a candidate of a distrusted faction, when you protect against
defection.

3-Slot ICT leaves the demoted candidate without protection from
pairwise-count offensive strategy, or even innocent, nonstrategic
truncation, which, admittedly, might not happen.

Chris's conditional approval-rating disadvantages the demoted candidate by
not giving hir any top-votes. My conditional top-ranking avoids that
shortcoming.

It gives the demoted candidate a fully-effective top-vote, if s/he
qualifies by having more unconditional top-votes than any of the
unconditionally top-voted candidates on your ballot.

If the demoted candidate, the candidate of the distrusted faction, is in
your top-set or strong top-set, then you'd like to support hir as well as
possible, while protecting against defection by hir voters.

Also, my modified form of unconditional vote allows for a Conditional
Approval.

I'll call Chris's original Bucklin version "3-Slot Unconditional (top)
Bucklin". The "(top)" refers to the comparison of top-counts to determine
if a conditional vote is given.

I'll likewise refer to Chris's original conditional-vote option as
"conditional votes (top) option".

My conditional votes option, i'll call "conditional votes (unconditional)
option", because it compares unconditional votes.

Maybe I'd replace the words "top" and "unconditional" with the letters "t"
and "u".

My Conditional Approval doesn't need the "(u)", because it's the only
Conditional Approval.

Then, my Unconditional Bucklin is "Unconditional (u) Bucklin".

I should post complete and better wordings:

Conditional Approval:

Voters can approve as many candidates as they want to, by marking their
names on the ballot in a specified manner.

If desired, and approval of a candidate can be designated "conditional".

By a particular ballot, a conditional approval is given only if the
vote-receiving candidate has more uncondtional approvals than any candidate
unconditionally approved on that ballot.

The candidate with the most approvals wins.

Due to time considerations, I'd like to post this now, and then post a
complete wording of Unconditional (u) Bucklin in a subsquent post to this
thread.

Michael Ossipoff