[EM] Anti-defection strategy device for IBIFA

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:23:59 PDT 2016

I think that exploring possibilities for rules on when middle votes should
help or not could be productive. That's essentially what I'm doing with PAR
and PAR-prime. But I think that conditional approval, as stated, is not a
good rule; it makes center squeeze seriously worse.

Let me brainstorm some rules that might work, starting with the rules for
PAR and PAR':

-A middle-vote counts if all the top-votes on that ballot have been
"eliminated" (PAR)
-A middle-vote counts if, for other non-eliminated candidates, there are at
least as many bottom-votes as top-votes on the ballot. (PAR')
-Do a series of elimination rounds. In each round, choose the
most-bottom-ranked candidate X as "vulnerable", and tally approvals for X
when they are unbeaten on a ballot, and for Y≠X when Y is unbeaten by X on
a ballot. If X wins, they are the overall winner; otherwise, eliminate them.
... The above is actually a Condorcet system, and not as far as I know
equivalent to any other existing Condorcet system.
-A middle-vote counts iff it goes to the CW. (this is simple to define. You
could also have it go to all members of the Smith set. Or have an A>B
ballot count for B iff B beats A pairwise.)

...As far as I can tell, all of the above systems have good outcomes in
realistic scenarios. The problems are difficulty of explanation, and
abstruse FBC or other violations. I think that the first filter for the
above should be ease of explanation.

Here's an attempt at an FBC method in this spirit. This method is far, far
too complicated to ever propose seriously, but it does hit the trifecta of
FBC, good center squeeze performance in clear-cut cases, and
no-slippery-slope on the chicken dilemma.

   1. Voters can Prefer, Accept, or Reject each candidate. Default is
   Accept.
   2. Candidates with a majority of Reject, or with under 25% Prefer, are
   eliminated, unless that would eliminate all candidates.
   3. Find the winner using an adjusted preference tally.
      1. First, take a preference tally for each non-eliminated candidate.
      2. Find the average preference tally for a non-eliminated candidate
      X, and find the "above-average preferences" (AAP(X)) for each
      non-eliminated candidate by taking their preference tally minus the
      average, or zero if this is negative. For an eliminated
candidate Z, AAP(Z)
      is just their raw preference tally.
      3. For each X including the eliminated candidates, find X's "pairwise
      opposition portion" for each other candidate Y (POP(XY)): the portion
      X-preferring ballots which reject Y and do not prefer any
candidate with a
      higher tally than X (breaking ties arbitrarily but consistently).
      4. For each pair X and Y, subtract from Y's adjusted preference
      tally, AAP(X) times POP(XY). (don't change the AAPs as you're doing this.)
      5. When you're done, the highest adjusted preference tally wins.

Wow. That's a crazy-complicated method. But in the Tennessee example, even
if somehow Memphis were not eliminated in step 2 (which won't happen) and
Knoxville and Chattanooga mutually prefer each other, you subtract 8.6667
from Knoxville and Chattanooga, which is enough to put them below Nashville
— a correct outcome, robust to 2 combined (and implausibly strong and
well-organized) strategies. In other words, Nashville wins in a strong
equilibrium, even if the Nashville voters use the self-destructive
anti-strategy of not rejecting Memphis.

And I'm pretty sure it meets FBC. By not preferring a candidate, you can
increase another candidate's score, but not by more than 1 point; a point
of margin you could give otherwise by just adding a preference for the
candidate you want to win and against the one you want to lose.

And in a chicken dilemma situation, it will pick the largest subfaction,
even if that subfaction is significantly more cooperative than the other
one (as long as the other faction cooperates enough to give a majority). No
slippery slope.

I am impressed with that method's near-perfect strategy resistance, but
it's massively impractical as a real-world proposal. It's just a
demonstration that these characteristics are not actually incompatible.

I'm calling that method QQQ, Quinn's Quixotic Quintessence.