[EM] Approval-Strategy article at CES website

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 11:49:04 PDT 2016

(Replying farther down)

On Nov 2, 2016 11:19 AM, "Juho Laatu" <juho.laatu at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 02 Nov 2016, at 19:51, Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Well, for the reason you describe, pre-election polls would be of
questionable value.

> It is hard to avoid pre-election polls since they are pretty much a norm
in modern democracies. Approval voters also need some pre-election polls to
use the normal approval strategy

(endquote)

But what I'm saying is that  "normal Approval strategy"
won't be needed unless you're voting in Utopia.

...because, if unless all the candidates qualify equally as very-best &
perfect for you, the completely easy strategy of approving your top-set
will be optimal.

Michael Ossipoff

unless having only results of the previous election, or having 0-info
available, is acceptable.

>> Much more reliable would be the result in the previous election. _That_
is the reliable poll. ...Even if the candidates are new, it still informs
about parties.

> Yes, maybe outdated, but quite sincere / reliable info. However, a total
poll ban is maybe not very probable in most countries.

>> Though there _might_ not be a top-set for most people, in an authentic
political system, I was mistaken to imply that there wouldn't be one:

>> Even without the odious Republocrats, even no one odious to the 99%
could win, and so no one like that would be in the election, there's still
a good variety among Progressive parties & candidates.

>> Probably they're all ok, but there's still likely be a subset who are
significantly closer to, perceived by you as the very best.

>> So, there'd still be a top-set, even though the "bottom-set" is no
longer odious.

>> But what if there weren't, because _all_ the candidates quality equally
as the very best.

>> Only then will there be no top-set.
>>
>> Only then will you not have the thoroughly simple optimal strategy of
approving only your top-set.

>> But the resulting strategy "dilemma" would be a pretty nice dilemma,
wouldn't you agree?

> If I understood you right, we are talking about a pure two-party or
two-faction system vs. a richer set of candidates. I'm used to having a
richer set of candidates, and I like that approach. But if someone strongly
wants a two-party system, that's ok too. If one wants to change the system,
there should be a wide consensus and good understanding on what the target
system should be like (e.g. a proportional multiparty system that covers
all administration and representative bodies).

>> You'd then have to estimate where the CWs is. Or lacking information
about that, or lacking a CWs, you'd have to estimate the expected
winner-merit, & approve down to there.

> Yes, and here poll strategies could be a problem in approval. That may
not be a major problem though, as I already noted. But on the other hand it
may make sense even to individual voters to follow the poll strategy that I
proposed. Maybe it would be possible to compare the poll results to the
actual election results and roughly estimate how many voters used
strategies in the polls.

> Juho
>
>> But my point here is that you have a top-set, & the thoroughly easy
simple strategy of approving (only) that top-set, unless it's the utopianly
happy circumstance of all the candidates qualifying as "very best" and
equally being just what you most want.

>> ...& when that's so, choosing among them would be a very nice dilemma.
>>
>> Michael Ossipoff

(constructively, not maliciously) so that each voter tries to make a
difference between some leading candidates, approval is more vulnerable to
deceptive poll information than many other methods. Most voters are
expected to vote strategically, and voting strategy will be derived from
the available poll information. This strategic vulnerability applies to all
polls, not only approval based polls.

best candidate you can, which amounts to identiflying the CWs & approving
down to hir.

>>> Here "strategically" means setting your approval threshold so that your
vote is likely to have maximum impact on the results. That typically means
approving at least one of the frontrunners, and not approving at least one
of them. That's the normal approval voting "strategy". (In the polls I
assumed a different strategy than this "normal" strategy to be applied.)

country there is a clear & obvious top-set: The progressive candidates.
(I've also told why it's in the interest of a big majority of the
population to elect a progressive government).

what's in their best interest, it's a top-set/bottom-set election.

entirely irrelevant. The optimal strategy is simple: Approve (only) your
top-set.

>>> Did you refer here to the normal approval strategy in the elections, or
to the different (more deceptive) strategy in the polls? My intention was
to say that in the polls one could use some other strategy than the normal
approval strategy, but in the actual approval election the normal approval
strategy would apply (but with falsified input information).

>>> (I may not be completely familiar with all the details of the
progressives vs. others set-up in the U.S. elections.)

maybe the candidates of progressives' bottom-set would be so unwinnable
that they'd no longer be in the elections. ...and it would no longer be a
top-set/bottom-set election. But then, with the combination of honest
elections and honest, open media, it would also be a lot more obvious who's
the CWs.  Absent a top-set, the best strategy is to approve down to the
CWs, if s/he's identifiable.  ...and s/he likely would be, then.

identifiable, or if there weren't one, then a 0-info expectation-maximizing
strategy would be the next best.  ...approving down to the expected
winner-merit.

>>> The poll strategy that I proposed was aimed at hiding the CWs
(Condorcet winner in sincere opinions) and/or strongest approval candidates
from the voters. That way you can make the voters base their (normal
approval) strategy on misinformation. In the example that made B the winner
instead of the majority favourite (and CWs) A. We thus didn't have 0-info,
but some insincere poll information instead.

knowledge of at least the range of where the voters are, inferred from the
range of where the candidates are. But,ito the extent that you know that
range, is it really 0-info?

less than halfway to the far end of it, from wherever you are in it.

voter-median is.   ...where the CWs is.

approve past the candidate midrange, and should, in fact, approve only down
to some unknown distance short of it.

>>> My example was a pure one dimensional example. But the same strategy
can work also in some more complex opinion spaces. The intended winner must
however be to some extent centrist, since the strategy requires some other
candidate(s) to be more disliked (than the planned strategic winner) to the
voter group(s) whose voting strategy (or actually the input parameters of
the voting strategy, namely the perceived CWs and/or approval forerunners)
the strategy tries to modify.

>>> The intended strategic winner should thus have each set of voters (to
be fooled) on one side, and a false potential winner on the opposite side.
One can not use very many dimensions / directions / target groups since one
can not promote candidates that are close to the target voter groups groups
(in the polls). It may however often be sufficient and most efficient to
fool only one or two groups of voters to win the election.

increases with the dimenaionality, even if all the candidates are in the
same general direction from you, makes the questionable assumption that,
even from there, the voter-distribution will likely take the shape of a
section of a circle or sphere centered where you are.

suggestion to approve past the midrange when the dimensionality is greater
than 1, vs what Forest pointed out...that the voter-median, the CWs, can be
expected to be closer than the candidate/voter midrange.

system, in which there's a clear, definite & obvious top-set for anyone who
wants the country to be better for the 99%.

>>> I guess in the U.S. the political set-up is so well known that the
proposed strategy would not work very well right after changing the
election method from the current one to approval. I mean that it would not
be credible to market one of the two strong candidates as a weak candidate
in the hope of making the opposite side approve also him/her in the hope of
not electing some even worse extreme candidate. But maybe in time, after
also other candidates will be seen as potential winners, the situation
would change, and approval polling strategies could be successfully used.

>>> Juho

easy to apply in theory, I lean in the direction that in typical public
elections strategic voting or strategic polling is not as big of a problem
as one might think based on all the theoretical threat scenarios that are
often discussed on this list. In all elections voters are likely to have
also incentives to vote sincerely. In the mentioned example many B
supporters may prefer to always approve B (also in the polls, not only in
the actual election), and B supporters may not like approving also C in the
polls, just to make it sure that B will be seen as a more popular candidate
than C. Such tendencies to promote one's true favourite are related also to
longer term developments, like keeping the number of votes up also in the
following elections, and trying give as much positive push as possible to
one's favourite party, current representatives and candidates even if they
are not elected this time.

vote strategically at the first round. Some probably do vote strategically
(one of the potential winners), but I guess it is more typical to just vote
sincerely at the first round. Also in plurality elections, where strategic
voting (of one of the two leading candidates) is often the only rational
thing to do (from a theoretical point of view, if one's only goal is to win
this particular election), many people still prefer to vote sincerely.

elections. I.e. poll strategies would not be so strong that they would in
practice lead to such rampant strategic behaviour in the polls that would
have a serious impact on voting behaviour in the actual election. This
applies even more to other relatively strategy free methods like Condorcet.
I believe strategic voting would not be a problem in typical large public
Condorcet elections. As I have mentioned a few times, I'm still waiting for
someone to present some practical strategic voting guidance that could be
applied in typical large public Condorcet elections. So far there is none.
The existence of such valid strategic voting guidance depends also on how
strongly the public approves / rejects strategic behaviour. But as said, I
have not seen any good guidance that would work even in the most strategy
friendly societies (where voters are happy to vote as told by the party
strategists, and where people who do not use all available deceptive
strategies are considered to be fools).

to get information for voting. Deceptive insincere voting in the
informational poll.

suggests such pre-election informational polls.

missed the fact that you were talking about voting in the poll, and were
discussing that deceptive poll-voting problem.

have uniform magnitude for a particular faction.

preferences in the sincere preferences. Unless the preference strengths are
not totally radical (e.g. A>>>>>>>>>>>>B>C), B can be presented to the A
supporters as an acceptable compromise candidate (when compared to the even
worse C).

B.

B are the leading candidates (as they are based on the sincere
preferences), but that A and C are the leading candidates. If A supporters
believe that A and C are the leading candidates (because of the strategic
answers to the approval polls), some of them will approve also B, and with
good probability that makes B the winner in the actual approval election
(although A supporters have 51% majority and they would win if all of them
simply bullet voted).

opinions A and B are clearly the two leading candidates, and make the A
supporters think that C is the second strongest candidate. That's why it
makes sense not to approve one's favourite (B) in the approval polls. In
the actual approval election B supporters will naturally all approve B.

elections with approval polls. No specific claims included. Just some food
for your thoughts.

intention is to keep the approval level of B (49-x+cb) high enough to make
B look like a credible potential winner, but not as high as the approval
level of C.

large as possible. The A supporters should approve also B as a lesser evil,
to avoid C that seems to be very popular in the polls. The C supporters
should approve also B as a lesser evil, to avoid A that seems to be very
popular in the polls. Preferably ab' > ab, and cb' > cb.

a middle candidate between A and C.

supporters would be to bullet vote, but some are likely to approve also B.
The best strategy of the C supporters is to approve also B.

tool, but I don't claim that approval polls would be worse (in approval
elections) from this point of view than some other kind of polls.

comments will be interspersed below,  demarkated  above & below by a line
of "&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&"

While voters do this to a limited extent with approval voting (link is
external), the voting system still behaves remarkably well. For instance,
voters can always express their honest favorite. And choosing just one
candidate (bullet voting) only occurs in limited situations.

polling. It would make no sense to do polling framed in plurality when a
different system is used; it would cease to be informative.

with Candidate Better, and love Candidate Classy. Let’s give them honest
utility values (we’re rating them on a 0-10 scale):

polling. It would make no sense to do polling framed in plurality when a
different system is used; it would cease to be informative.

suggesting an Approval-poll to provide tactical informaton. But such
information could only come from a poll that asked people to indicate their
favorite, or better-yet,their merit-ranking.

to benefit from the information from the first poll. But the 1st poll, if
by Approval, is either 0-info, or has ulnreliable, guessed, predictive
information. Then why would it indicate winnability in the 2nd vote?

Classy doesn’t have a shot, but you vote for her anyway to show your
support and give her ideas more legitimacy.

preference for Better against Awful. By only voting for Better or Classy,
you risk Awful winning against both of them.

more than the matter of _which_ of is members wins.

Better & Classy.  You don't want to take that chance of Awful outpolling
Classy. So you approve your top-set.

against Better and show your support for Classy.

out of the competition Better is. And it depends on how much you dislike
Better along with how likable Better is compared to Awful. If Awful and
Better are similarly unlikable (you’re indifferent to which one wins), a
voter may be more inclined to vote for Classy alone when she is closer to
winning.

holding the November 2016 election by Approval.

Better's win-probability is slightly less than that of Awful & Classy, you
should still approve (only) your entire top-set, which is {Classy, Better}.

Classy competing against Awful. Whether you include Better in the vote
would depend on how much you actually supported Better's views. Like in the
first example where Classy had 30% and was a token vote, support for Better
in this case is also a token vote because it likely won’t change the
outcome. So, if you wanted to give support for Better because of some view
he had that you liked, then you could get away with supporting him and
Classy.

regresses to plurality voting (via bullet voting).

simply makes no strategic sense. But notice that when you do only vote for
one candidate, it’s done in a way that’s not damaging to the outcome. Also,
factoring in who is likely to win is something we do anyway when
considering what to do under plurality voting. But with approval voting, we
just have more options on what we can do with that information. Also note
that it was always to your advantage to vote your favorite. That will
ALWAYS be true with approval voting.

"information" about that comes from disinformational, wealthy-agenda media,
and should be completely disregarded.

(Jill Stein), for nearly everyone, it's a 0-info election. Anyway, as i've
mentioned elsewhere, in our distorted electoral-system, voters who want
something better instead of the Republocrat status-quo have a top-set & a
bottom-set. When you do, you should approve (only) your top-set.

on what to do. Though the concepts are the same. Expectantly, with more
candidates, voters will also approve of more candidates on average.  There
may also be cross-support from multiple independents/third parties that
share certain views.

nearly always choose the candidate that can beat everyone in a head-to-head
race. This is called a Condorcet winner. Approval voting does not achieve
this flawlessly, but it does an excellent job nonetheless. It is also
argued that when approval voting doesn’t select the Condorcet winner, it
does so for good reason.