[EM] Approval-Strategy article at CES website

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:51:18 PDT 2016

Well, for the reason you describe, pre-election polls would be of
questionable value.

Much more reliable would be the result in the previous election. _That_ is
the reliable poll. ...Even if the candidates are new, it still informs
about parties.

Though there _might_ not be a top-set for most people, in an authentic
political system, I was mistaken to imply that there wouldn't be one:

Even without the odious Republocrats, even no one odious to the 99% could
win, and so no one like that would be in the election, there's still a good
variety among Progressive parties & candidates.

Probably they're all ok, but there's still likely be a subset who are
significantly closer to, perceived by you as the very best.

So, there'd still be a top-set, even though the "bottom-set" is no longer
odious.

But what if there weren't, because _all_ the candidates quality equally as
the very best.

Only then will there be no top-set.

Only then will you not have the thoroughly simple optimal strategy of
approving only your top-set.

But the resulting strategy "dilemma" would be a pretty nice dilemma,
wouldn't you agree?

You'd then have to estimate where the CWs is. Or lacking information about
that, or lacking a CWs, you'd have to estimate the expected winner-merit, &
approve down to there.

But my point here is that you have a top-set, & the thoroughly easy simple
strategy of approving (only) that top-set, unless it's the utopianly happy
circumstance of all the candidates qualifying as "very best" and equally
being just what you most want.

...& when that's so, choosing among them would be a very nice dilemma.

Michael Ossipoff