[EM] XA (Andy Jennings)

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 09:34:13 PDT 2016

I thought about the fact that percentiles are asymmetrical. Obviously the
choices are: top value, bottom value, median value, or any of the above
with renormalization. So in my exaple, the A's/F's respectively could be
100/25, 75/0, 87.5/12.5, or any of the foregoing but renormalized to 100/0.
(Note that this renormalization would actually affect the middle grades
slightly differently depending on which you started with.) Since I have no
intuition for why any of these would be better than any other, I just went
with the standard convention for percentiles, which is bottom without
renormalization.