[EM] Kristofer and Steve on IRVa vs. MAM

steve bosworth stevebosworth at hotmail.com
Mon May 30 07:53:13 PDT 2016

This reply to Kristofer's post is strengthened by the attachments it mentions and which Steve will also sent to you by email if you wish (stevebosworth at hotmail.com).

From: steve bosworth <stevebosworth at hotmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2016 7:54 PM
To: Kristofer Munsterhjelm
Subject: Re: Your 5th APR dialogue with Steve

To Kristofer,

Thank you for your response.  In one sense, I accept that if truncated ballots are not permitted, Condorcet will also support the winner with at least by 50% + 1, e.g. the MAM winner will be supported by at least 50%+1 of all the voters.  However, this ‘support’ will usually be composed mainly of indirect or ‘transitive’ support.  In contrast to IRVa, the percentage of voters who have expressly preferred the winner over each of the other candidates can easily be much less than 50%.  This is illustrated by the example discussed in the Endnote to the attached newly drafted Appendix 4 to my article (Super Equality for Each Citizen’s Vote in the Legislature’).

In that extreme example, ‘as a result of using IRV, candidate F is elected with a 61% majority and with an average intensity of preference of 9.62 out of 10.  In contrast, by counting the same 100 ballots using MAM, candidate E is elected with the explicit support of only 39% and with an average intensity of preference of 9.28.’
As a result, the attached appendix also claims that only ‘IRVa allows each citizen to guarantee:
1)      that her vote will continue quantitatively to count equally,
2)      that the winner will be elected by a majority of all the voters who have not deliberately cancelled the possibility of their otherwise wasted ‘default vote’ being counted until the majority winner is discovered, and
3)      that the winner will be supported more enthusiastically than any other candidate.’

This extract and the other passages that I see as being relevant to our discuss are printed green in the attachment.
Below, I have attempted to respond to each of the points made in your most recent email.

I understand that you may not have the time to answer until July.

Best regards,
Steve