[EM] Wiki says IRV is monotonic--not fully democratic?

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Jun 21 18:05:04 PDT 2016

Hi Steve,
The first one on the list (mono-raise) is what people are referring to when they say IRV (or two-round) violates monotonicity. But certainly there are other ones from the list that it doesn't satisfy either.
You used the terms "democratic" and "one citizen one vote" but I don't really know of definitions for these terms at this level.
The reason mono-raise failures are criticized is that they involve situations where a candidate (or his supporters) could complain that they are penalized for getting better rankings. A perception of unfairness could undermine perceived legitimacy of the winner. All proposed methods are unfair in some way, and people have different views on what is or isn't tolerable.
Kevin