[EM] Fwd: Electowiki account

via Election-Methods election-methods at lists.electorama.com
Sat Dec 31 06:20:52 PST 2016

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 7:23 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:

> Not abandoned, but on my personal backburner.  Setting aside the tech
> issues (e.g. getting logged in, getting messages through, etc), what
> is it that y'all are hoping to accomplish:
> a) on the mailing list?
> b) on the wiki?

a) I don't like mailing lists.  I'm just here to ask about wiki account.

b) When I first encountered it months ago, I was excited about fixing and
updating things on it, and posting my own research on my user page. I
started to make a list of needed edits, expecting to quickly get an account:

   - http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting
      - Fix "United States Libertarian Party|Libertarian Party"
      - Clarify "preferential vote" term also applies more broadly to other
      systems with preferential ballots
      - Remove redlinks to non-election topics or link them to Wikipedia
      instead
      - Update about adoption by Maine
      - capitalize "australian", "green party"
      - shorten to "IRV" in lots of places
   - http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Template:Tenn_voting_example
      - Fix the image
      - http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Range_voting
      - Clarify that cardinal is a class that includes range/score,
      approval, cumulative, etc.
   - http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Approval_voting
      - See Also should be a list
      - Move http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Consensus_voting into a
      subsection of Approval page
   - etc.

On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 6:59 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm wrote:

> As for Electowiki, perhaps you could give someone else privileges to
> approve users -- or choose the Wikipedia model where anyone (possibly
> except spammers) can edit.

Yes, please.  I imagine it shouldn't be as open as Wikipedia because there
aren't as many users monitoring for spam, but MediaWiki can be locked down
to varying degrees and you can give trusted users the ability to approve
new users, etc.:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Combating_spam
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Moderation
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgRateLimits