[EM] The scales of measurment determine most effective elections.

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Mon Dec 19 10:34:19 PST 2016

To all,

Statistical tests are judged for their accuracy by how far they follow
the scales of measurment (Sidney Siegal: Non-parametric statistics for
the behavioral sciences). The four scales can also be applied to
elections. (Later I found out that elections are statistical tests, that
is in the sense that my innovation of Binomial STV is such). There is
only one election system that follows all four scales, and that is
transferable voting. Ranked choice or preference voting are indeed
essential to an accurate election system: that covers the second scale:
the ordinal scale. Proportional counting is also essential: that covers
the fourth scale: the ratio scale.

Strategic voting remains only a residual problem with STV. But it can
occur in real life elections where a very popular candidate can take
away most of the first preferences of an allied candidate, subjecting
the ally to possible premature exclusion. Binomial STV solves that
problem by making the exclusion count rational, as well as the election
count.

from
Richard Lung.

--