[EM] Simmons' multiwinner schemes based on ssf(x) ("Simmons staircase function")

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Dec 12 13:43:08 PST 2016

Here's a couple of additional examples based on the quality gauge given by

Q = integral over 0<x<1 of G(x)^(1/G(x))

We have already established that if G(x) is constantly p, then Q = p^(1/p),
which is the case when a faction making up fraction p of the population
gives full approval to the winner, and no other faction approves the winner.

And when every faction has precise approval of c, then G(x) is 100% for x
between zero and c, else zero. So Q is integral over x between zero and c
of 1, which is just c.

So a candidate with 100 percent approval on fifty percent of the ballots
gets a value of Q equal to .5^2, or 25 percent, while a candidate rated
fifty percent on 100 percent of the ballots gets a Q value of .5

The geometric mean of these two values is the square root of two divvided
by four, or about 35 percent.

Lets compare this with the Q value of a candidate whose ratings are
distributed uniformly between zero and one:  in this cas the distribution
function satisfies F(x)=x.

So G(x) = 1 - x, and Q = integral over x between zero and one of
(1-x)^(1/(1-x)), which also turns out to be about 35 percent.

That makes sense considering that a uniform distribution is about halfway
between the all at fifty percent and half at 100 percent.

The more you play around with this quality gauge the more robust and
resilient it seems to be.

Now for the strong PR condition (on the assumption of weak PR).

Suppose that f2(x) =  (c + (1-c)*f1(x)), then the respective distribution
functions are given by

G1(x) = Lambda[f1(x)>x)]  and G2(t)=Lambda[c+(1-c)f(t)>t], where Lambda is
the Lebesgue measure operator.

I claim that the graph of G2(t) is constantly unity for 0<t<c, and
thereafter (for c<t<1) it is a replica of the graph of G1 horizontally
compressed by a factor of c:

For c<t<1, G2(t) = G1(t/c).

So Q2 = c + c*Q1.

It seems to me that this is precisely what is needed for strong PR, given
weak PR.

Check me on this!

Forest