[EM] One person/one vote

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Wed Aug 3 08:55:35 PDT 2016

Kathy is an old IRV detractor that i recall from the days that Burlington Vermont was debating and repealing IRV (after our goofed-up election in 2009 and the repeal vote in 2010).
that "one-person-one-vote" thing was one of their empty talking points along with
"disenfranchisement" (the latter had some applicability in San Francisco and Oakland because the number of candidates greatly exceeded the number of ranking levels, but that was not the case in Burlington in either 2006 or 2009, the only times IRV was used).

there were a
few other empty talking points and some not so empty (Burlington 2009 demonstrated a clear spoiler effect and a potential non-monotonicity and any IRV fails precinct-summability).

any complaint regarding "one-person-one-vote" that Kathy (or someone else) levels against
IRV, could just as well be leveled against Schulze or any other Condorcet-compliant method because they all use the same ranked-ballot.  it's just bogus.

One Person One Vote means a few different things:
1.  It means my access to voting and the strength of my vote
counts as much as any other person.
2. It means I may not register to vote at more than one residential location (like in two precincts or districts or even two states) and vote twice.
3. It means that (with the only exception of the U.S. Senate) every representative in whatever
legislative body (House of Representatives, state legislature, city council) has, roughly (the courts have been sticking to 10% variance) the same population of persons represented.  So that each constituent has, through their representative, about the same amount of influence in that
legislative body.

IRV has problems.  but it doesn't have *that* particular problem.
Sorry Kathy, but we gotta call you out on this.
r b-j