[EM] VoteFair popularity ranking Scored: Steve's dialogue with Richard Fobes

steve bosworth stevebosworth at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 17 15:13:36 PDT 2015

> Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 11:44:23 -0700
> From: ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
> To: election-methods at electorama.com
> CC: stevebosworth at hotmail.com
> Subject: Re: A Question about Pages 22-29/58 of Chapter 12 of Fobes' 'Ending the Hidden Unfairness of U.S. Elections
  Hi Richard ( and everyone else), Later I want to continue our dialogue compare VoteFair and APR for electing multiple winners, but now, please let me focus only on your explanation below about 'VoteFair popularity scoring' for electing single-winners and the need not to rely on shortcuts: S:  As you may recall, I currently favor your VoteFair popularity ranking method for electing single-winners -- presidents, governors, majors, etc.  It has the virtue of discovering the most popular candidate by counting all the preferences of all the voters and without eliminating any candidate until the most popular one has been discovered.  It seems simpler and better than any other method that I have read about, including those I've seen discussed in EM.  Still, I would like to receive any criticisms from anyone of this method for this purpose, or any arguments that prefer a competing method. Richard, I think your method would be even more appealing if it were safe to score its results by the 'shortcut' I asked about.  It would be more appealing because more people would be able to understand exactly how it works, as well as it requiring a much simpler computer program. I understand that 'shortcuts' in general can be dangerous and that the particular ones you mention below with regard to 'plurality' and 'IRV' are flawed by the reason you give, i.e. their mistaken assumptions which motivate them.    However, I am not yet aware that VoteFair popularity ranking makes any mistaken assumptions.  Therefore, it currently still seems to me that simply counting the number of times each candidate is preferred over every other candidate would not be an unreliable 'shortcut' because would always enable us to discover the most popular candidate, as well as give use the whole correct sequence.  Is there specific reason why I am mistaken in this view?Steve >