[EM] (5) MAM better than VoteFair: Steve's 5th dialogue with Kristofer

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 21 17:17:55 PDT 2015

Apologies if this has been discussed at length before, but is MAM different enough from Ranked Pairs to be considered a different method? A quick search suggests to me that the differences are that 1) Ranked Pairs requires voters to give a full ordering of candidates whereas MAM allows ties, and 2) MAM uses winning votes rather than margins.
I wasn't even aware Ranked Pairs required this full ordering anyway, but relaxing it is not really a new method. Also margins/winning votes isn't even an issue if ties aren't allowed. And it's generally understood that methods where the inventor says they prefer winning votes or margins can also be used the other way while remaining the same basic method. E.g. Schulze with margins is still Schulze.