[EM] Ballot design (new simple legal strategy to get IRV)

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Tue Oct 20 17:19:34 PDT 2015

On 10/10/15 7:06 PM, Juho Laatu wrote:
> [...]
> I waas thinking about some STV style multi-winner methods where it makes sense to store the votes one by one and not sum them up in a matrix (as would be practical with typical single winner ranked Condorcet methods).
>
> Bubbles and slots would work too. I just ended up on this line because I started from the idea of using as simple ballots as possible. In Finland votes are counted twice manually to make sure that possible alternative interpretations of the ballots will be pointed out.
>
>>> I note that some ballots might contain numbers 1 and 7, and another ballot might contain numbers 1 and 7 as well, but the first 1 and the latter 7 might look exactly the same. One would need to make the interpretation based on seeing also the other numbers on the ballot. A different looking 7 would cause the 1 to be interpreted as 1 in the first ballot. The machines should be smart enough to take also this into account. Or alternatively they would just give up and leave the interpretation of these two ballots to humans.
>> would this work for an election in, say, India?  with something like 10^9 ballots?
> In Finland the idea is that votes are counted locally right after the election, which means that there is plenty of local workforce available, and the process can be real quick. This approach would scale also to India and 10^9 ballots.
>
>> recounts are one thing.  and a nationwide recount in the U.S. would be truly a massive and messy thing.  this is one reason why the Electoral College has some supporters (which i am not).  if, in 2000, there would have been a knock-down, drag-out recount fight between Bush and Gore, at least the fight would have been contained in Florida.
> The second count in Finland is called a "checking count". It will be done always (maybe the next day), and usually there is no need to come back to the votes after that (not locally nor centrally).
>
>> but in the normal vote counting and tabulation in a governmental election in a democracy, it should be routinely done with mindless (and bias-less) machines, it should be precinct summable (with precinct results completely transparent to the media and to partisans), and it should be decided on the evening of the election unless it's very close or there are other problems calling for a recount.
> Bias-lessness is achieved in Finland by inviting representatives of all parties to take part in the vote counting process.

we do that, too, in the U.S.  both for election night and also for
recounts.  but machines are more immune to bias (unless seriptitiously
programmed to be such, but open non-proprietary code should guard
against that).

and the other (non-machine) issue regarding "biasedness" is that because
of Duverger's law favors the two major parties, so the playing field is
not level for third parties and independents.

>   I guess the tradition is to not to even start making biased interpretations.
>
> STV is unfortunately not as summable as e.g. Condorcet. One may lose also some privacy and introduce some risk of coercion and vote buying by recording and distributing ranked votes to the central authority (and who knows even publishing them). I have no good foolproof solution for that right now.

well, i think that is a permanent disadvantage to STV.  and IRV
opponents used that as an issue, alluding to the possibility of
something nefarious happening during transporting the voting data (like
in a thumb drive or whatever physical instrument with data from all of
the ballots) from the precinct to the central ballot-counting venue or
something else nefarious happening at a single obscure point (in the
code) at the central counting location (that some inside person could
slip in).  this is why precinct-summability is a desirable property of a
voting system.

i suppose that with STV, at each precinct, instead of posting vote
totals as you would for FPTP or Condorcet, you would post totals for
each possible way to mark the ballot.  but i don't think that candidate
organization nor the media would want to use those results.

>   Risks to be estimated and appropriate protective measures to be taken (or just stay in some simpler methods).

i think Condorcet is simpler than STV.  because it's precinct-summable
and there isn't this kabuki dance of transferred votes.

and Condorcet is even simpler than FPTP with regard to burdening voters
in multi-candidate elections with tactical voting (because of the
ranked-choice ballot). normally the tactic ends up the "compromising"
tactic, but voters should not have to put up with that.  this was the
main reason we adopted STV in Burlington Vermont in the first place.
now we're stuck with it again.

L8r,

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com