[EM] Ballot design (new simple legal strategy to get IRV)

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sun Oct 11 05:11:01 PDT 2015

On 10/11/2015 01:06 AM, Juho Laatu wrote:

> Bias-lessness is achieved in Finland by inviting representatives of
all parties to take part in the vote counting process. I guess the
tradition is to not to even start making biased interpretations.

> STV is unfortunately not as summable as e.g. Condorcet. One may lose
> also some privacy and introduce some risk of coercion and vote buying by
> recording and distributing ranked votes to the central authority (and
> who knows even publishing them). I have no good foolproof solution for
> that right now. Risks to be estimated and appropriate protective
> measures to be taken (or just stay in some simpler methods).

That brings to mind what I'd call a great open question: is the Droop
proportionality criterion compatible with summability? I suspect not,
and I suspect that a proof would make use of a pigeonhole principle. I
don't have much beyond that hunch, though.