[EM] Ballot design (new simple legal strategy to get IRV)

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Sat Oct 10 15:36:34 PDT 2015

On 10/10/15 6:17 PM, Juho Laatu wrote:
> I believe computer recognition might work well enough to at least provide assistance to the humans by helping them recording the numbers. For example I might read the numbers myself first, and then check if the computer has the same opinion.

that means you have to "price check" your paper ballot before
surrendering it to the ballot box.  does not seem to me to be a simple
and direct procedure.

>   If yes, then I press enter to proceed to the next ballot and accept computer's interpretation of the ballot. This would be "computer assisted counting".

yeah, but we should have a reasonably secure method to tabulate ballots
and get "summable" results at each precinct on the evening of the
election just after polls close.  it should be virtually flawless if
every voter marked their ballot to within, say, 90% of "par" (to use a
golfing term).  this is quite doable for oval or round "bubbles" or
"slots" or other simple binary marking geometries.  OCR is not safe
enough without "human assisted counting" which i think should be totally
avoided unless there is a mandated recount.

> I note that some ballots might contain numbers 1 and 7, and another ballot might contain numbers 1 and 7 as well, but the first 1 and the latter 7 might look exactly the same. One would need to make the interpretation based on seeing also the other numbers on the ballot. A different looking 7 would cause the 1 to be interpreted as 1 in the first ballot. The machines should be smart enough to take also this into account. Or alternatively they would just give up and leave the interpretation of these two ballots to humans.

would this work for an election in, say, India?  with something like
10^9 ballots?

recounts are one thing.  and a nationwide recount in the U.S. would be
truly a massive and messy thing.  this is one reason why the Electoral
College has some supporters (which i am not).  if, in 2000, there would
have been a knock-down, drag-out recount fight between Bush and Gore, at
least the fight would have been contained in Florida.

but in the normal vote counting and tabulation in a governmental
election in a democracy, it should be routinely done with mindless (and
bias-less) machines, it should be precinct summable (with precinct
results completely transparent to the media and to partisans), and it
should be decided on the evening of the election unless it's very close
or there are other problems calling for a recount.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com