[EM] Beatpath question

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 06:33:07 PDT 2015

Thanks a lot!

If I'm not mistaken, SODA elects A in this case. Which means that SODA is
holding true to form and electing a beatpath winner*, even though in this
case my proof that SODA does so does not hold.

A assigns all of their delegated votes to approve C, and two of them to
also approve B; then D assigns two to C; and then B is faced with a choice
between A and C, so they choose A.

I'll have to do some head-scratching to see if I can get my proof to cover
this case. I think there may be a way to do it using double induction...

The trouble is that my proof, as it stands, doesn't even prove monotonicity
except in restricted cases. I'm pretty sure monotonicity holds but this
problem is proving to be way more involved than you'd expect. I think that
proving beatpath may actually be the easiest way to prove monotonicity (!!).

*Note I say "a" beatpath winner, not "the" beatpath winner. With SODA,
voters can express nondelegated, static approvals; and this can lead to
candidates having mutual beatpaths against each other, for instance, in the
chicken dilemma. That can lead to there being two or more potential
beatpath winners, with the first candidate with enough delegated votes
getting to choose which of those wins.