[EM] new simple legal strategy to get IRV

robert bristow-johnson rbj at audioimagination.com
Mon Oct 5 14:05:11 PDT 2015

On 10/1/15 1:33 PM, Sennet Williams wrote:

>       btw,  We might consider keeping IRV distinguished from RCV.

yes, Sand you might well consider doing that.

might i suggest reading up in Wikipedia (maybe start at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-member_district#Comparison_of_single-member_district_election_methods
) and http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Special:AllPages .

Ranked-Choice Voting (that which we do with a Ranked-Order Ballot) is
*not* the same as IRV despite what apologists at FairVote would suggest.

while IRV may be better than simple plurality voting, it *has* problems
and *has*, at least once, failed seriously in a governmental election
(Burlington Vermont Mayoral 2009) which led to its repeal.

there are better methods than IRV, and every time IRV fails, it sullies
not just IRV but all methods of ranked voting because sometimes ignorant
voters and dishonest advocates conflate "IRV" with ranked voting.  same
ballot (or nearly the same), but different methods of evaluating or
tabulating the ballots to discern whom the majority choice of the
electorate really is.

>   I know that locally (in the bay area), four cities voted for "IRV."
>   Instead, SF and Alameda county  supervisors bought machines that can
> only count three rankings, and they call it Ranked Choice, and that is
> inferior to true IRV where only 3 rankings are allowed.  An anti-IRV
> Berkeley council member did his own research study that proved that
> all rankings should be allowed, but the county made the final
> decision.  Now it should be obvious that he was right, because both
> the Oakland and SF mayoral elections were so close that the # of
> expired ballots vastly outnumbered the top three ranked candidates, so
> there is no way to know which candidate was actually preferred by the
> most voters.

this has to do with the number of ranking levels available on a ballot
with finite area on paper.  3 ranking levels when there are 20+
candidates is a problem.  a voter might well find out after the election
that they "threw away their vote" because none of the candidates they
ranked ended up being one of the top contenders.

>   (From my observation, the final winner would not have won either
> election if all rankings had been allowed.

because you cannot have infinite area on a paper ballot (and i am still
for the killing of trees to leave a paper trail for election integrity),
the only solution to keep the number of candidates from outstripping the
number of ranking levels are reasonable ballot-access laws.  if your
ballot has, say, 5 levels of ranking, then the ballot access laws (the
number of petition signatures needed to get on the ballot) should be
sufficiently strict to prevent, in a typical election year, more than 5
candidates (plus one write-in) on the ballot.

r b-j                  rbj at audioimagination.com