[EM] Voting Benchmark

Marijn Stollenga m.stollenga at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 02:38:01 PDT 2015

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll briefly describe my method to make
my goal clear:

I want to avoid aggregating all votes in a tally, because I think that
loses information. Specifically, I would like a method that can find a
representative ranking. I.e. if I want the top 10 songs, it should
reflect the preferences of everyone, but not only contain electronic
music because a majority likes that.
When I you do the simple Schulze ranking (not STV) I find it
over-represents certain groups because they essentially can vote more
than once.
I think once their preference is (partially) included their voting
strength should lessen, but with a tally their vote can not be removed
(reduced) since it's all agglomerated.

My idea is to combine Quadratic Voting with ranking. The setup is this:
- Everyone has a voting budget of 1.0
- They spread their budget over their preferences: So if you have A > B
 > C you spread your budget over three preferences A > B, B > C and A >
C. With quadratic voting this means spending .333 on each preference,
each gets a voting strength of sqrt(.333)
- All votes are averaged.
- Everyone has a policy, which is to have an equal avg. voting strength
for their preference, and taking the resulting average into account,
they adjust their votes (using a simple gradient step).
- This is repeated until convergence.

The result is a preference matrix, which has to be turned into a
ranking. I think this is possible by eliminating the weakest preference,
and re-vote and rebalance, until a ranking is obtained. But it is not
clear that this works, it could result in a broken graph, so I'm not
sure about what to do there.

The advantage would be that no structure is lost by tallying. It also
avoids the problem of Quadratic Voting where it assumes people have an
adequate estimate of what others will vote (unrealistic in my opinion),
instead the policy is enacted by the algorithm and the user just
presents a ranking.

I'm not sure if the 'averaging policy' is the best approach, maybe there
are other policies that are more fair. Also, instead of voting on
preferences, the votes can be done directly on candidates, but it is
unclear to me how to take ranking preferences into account there.

Any thoughts?

Marijn Stollenga