[EM] Voting Benchmark

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Oct 1 06:18:49 PDT 2015

Hi Marijn,
Yes, a few thoughts:1. The path tracing (propagation of votes through paths) may seem odd, and it does create problems if you want to create guarantees about the effect of a given ballot (like LNHarm or FBC). But path tracing can provide a useful framework for resolving clone situations or Condorcet cycles. I'd note also that the problem of "voting A>B can help C" is a problem common to many or most election methods.2. Regarding sensitivity to a small change in votes: I would suggest that this is true even with a two-way FPP election: a contest's win vs. loss is the most important thing, and considering the strength of the win at all is a novelty. But it's an interesting question, whether the single-direction flow of votes creates more tactical voting opportunities.3. I call Schulze with votes flowing in both directions "Schulze(pairwise opposition)." The results can be less decisive. For example, suppose that candidate A has 45% of the vote (bullet votes, no lower preferences), and the rest of the votes are some combination of B, C, B>C, and C>B votes. Say there is an A>C>B>A cycle. It's likely that B and C will tie for the win because each received their greatest opposition from A. Whatever tiebreaker rule is used, if it elects C, and C has fewer preferences in total than A's 45% in first preferences, that would violate the Plurality criterion. Some of us would find that to be a bad outcome (i.e. hard to defend), so you may want to consider it.
Kevin