[EM] (22) APR: Steve's 22th dialogue with Richard Fobes

VoteFair ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Sat Nov 21 09:54:43 PST 2015

Steve, you don't seem to be carefully reading what I write.  As an
example, I wrote:

 > R: > VoteFair ranking is intentionally designed to limit the number of
 >>  political parties who actually get their candidates elected. But it
 >>  does this in a way that lists a greater number of minor political
 >>  parties on the ballot. ….

Your reply was:

 > S:Limiting the number of political parties arbitrarily is not a virtue
 > when this prevents some citizens from being represented most
 > faithfully. APR only limits the number of “associations” (e.g
parties) to
 > the number that have received sufficient support during APR’s primary
 > election.

VoteFair ranking does not "arbitrarily" limit the number of parties.

Please re-read the chapter titled "It's Party Time!: Voting For Parties
And Keeping Ballots Short" (in "Ending The Hidden Unfairness In U.S.
Elections").  It explains how VoteFair party ranking carefully(!)
identifies which political parties deserve to have candidates on the
ballot.  (And it explains how the method prevents large parties from
having "shadow" parties whose purpose would be to reduce the number of
candidates from small parties.)

Steve, another pattern in your messages is that you repeatedly claim
advantages for your APR method as if they apply to a comparison with
VoteFair ranking, even though they are really just advantages over
current voting methods.  (By current methods I mean the ones commonly
used in the U.S. and Europe.)

Specifically, your following claims for APR also apply to VoteFair
ranking (if the word "association" is replaced by "party"):

 > .... a foundation for the growth of this qualitative
 > advantage would have been provided earlier by the way [the method]
recruits its
 > candidates.

 > .... [the] primary election discovers the ... organizations in
 > the country that are most trusted by its citizens.

 > ... should
 > stimulate more attractive candidates ...

 > ... [the] election of the
 > most favored of these better candidates would seem also to combine to
 > raise the average quality of representation in the assembly ....

 > ... closer bonds between citizens and their
 > representatives ...

 > ... It asks citizens to start to
 > familiarize themselves with the existing members, officials, and other
 > potential candidates of their preferred organizations months before each
 > voter has to finalize her ranking of candidates during the general
 > election.

 > ... [time] would allow each association, its candidates and
 > its registered voters to coordinate their thinking and planning about
 > how best to run their common campaign in the coming general election.

 > ... This closer bond between each rep and his electorate would also
seem to
 > make each congressperson’s work in the assembly more focused and known
 > to be backed by his association and his electors.

 > ... more likely to produce, on average, a
 > closer ideological fit between each citizen and her congressperson ...

 > ... more likely to help solve the real problems facing the
 > country. They are more likely to do this because of the greater
 > expectation on the part of their different electorates that progress
 > must actually be made with respect to the goals of each of the
 > ideological different electorates who elected them.

 > .... this ideological bond between each citizen
 > and her rep would seem more likely to provide the kind of
 > congresspersons to engage in the kind of productive debates and
 > negotiations in the House to [...] help solve the
 > real problems facing the country.

 > ... Consequently, an assembly composed of such able,
 > different, well informed, clashing, and focused reps would seem to
 > provide an optimal debating and negotiating chamber for the production
 > of creative and evidence based solutions to common problems. The wisdom
 > of any decisions resulting from this deliberative process is also likely
 > to be aided by the simple fact that it would take place in an assembly
 > whose composition most accurately reflects the real variety and
 > intensity of the concerns of all citizens.

 > ... [an elected representative] would seem to be both more able and
likely to
 > negotiate solutions to common problems together with fellow but
 > ideologically different congresspersons. This is because each
[representative]
 > would probably enjoy more trust from his electorate.

All of these claimed advantages also apply to VoteFair ranking.

Yes, these claims are valid advantages for your APR method compared to
existing voting methods.  But you have been stating that you want to
compare your APR method to VoteFair ranking, so please do not imply that
these advantages are relevant in comparing your APR method with VoteFair
ranking.

Now let's look at some other advantages you claim for APR.

Your latest message (copied below) also claims some advantages that I
did not include above.  That's because they involve your words "largely
homogeneous electorate" and "coalition," which suggest a possible
misunderstanding.

 > Because an APR congressperson would be more clearly expected to work and
 > vote to promote the scale of values he shares with his largely
 > homogeneous electorate, ....

A "largely homogeneous electorate" is exactly the opposite of the
concept that politics is multi-dimensional.  I explained this concept in
my last message, but I don't think you fully understand what I'm
writing, so, let's consider an example.

Expanding on the California example from last time, consider a female
latina voter who votes for a female latina representative even though
that representative has the opposite preference for whether to build a
wall between California and Mexico.  In your APR claims you imply that
this won't happen.  I do not make such a claim about VoteFair ranking.

You said you agree that politics in the U.S. and Europe is
multi-dimensional.  So how can you claim that a representative who is
elected using your APR method can possibly fully -- in all dimensions --
represent the tens of thousands of voters who elected that representative?

Now let's consider your use of the words "coalition" and "working majority."

 > The extra ability with which APR reps would seem to be able to negotiate
 > compromises, would also seem to make it more likely that APR
 > congresspersons would respond to the imperative to form a working
 > majority in the assembly. Without such a majority coalition, any wise
 > legislative solutions to problems that such rational deliberations might
 > have discovered could not be passed into law. Each APR rep is more
likely
 > to see that if he is not a part of the majority that will shape the
 > assembly’s binding decisions, his own agenda, and that of his
 > electorate, will not be advanced.

The basis of this forum is to focus on claims that are backed up by
mathematics, so let's get mathematical.

A coalition or working majority usually constitutes 51 percent to about
65 percent, and that coalition can pass laws without compromising with
the other 49 percent to 35 percent of the representatives.

Yet you say about APR:

 > ... [the elected representative] would seem to be both more able and
likely to
 > negotiate solutions to common problems together with fellow but
 > ideologically different congresspersons.

If your APR method were used in California, the "conservatives" and
"liberals" would compete, and whichever side has the majority of elected
representatives would pass laws without regard for the other side.  That
is not true negotiation.

In order to get true negotiation between the majority and the minority
(of legislators), the legislature would have to adopt fairer voting
methods within the legislature.

My interactive website at www.NegotiationTool.com demonstrates how that
kind of voting can be done.

Electing representative who better represent the voters is only the
first step toward the kind of problem-solving, compromise-seeking
negotiations that voters want.  Using better voting methods within a
legislature is the next step.

Your APR method involves the first step of improving -- over current
methods -- the election process.  However, your APR method would not
necessarily lead to the problem-solving, compromise-seeking negotiations
that you idealize.

Yes, getting better elected officials -- who represent the voters
instead of the biggest campaign contributors -- would improve
negotiations within a legislature, but VoteFair ranking would also
provide the same benefit.

Remember that in your APR method it is easy for only 51 percent of the
voters to be represented when a law is passed.  That easily leads to
oppression of the minority of voters -- namely the "associations" that
comprise the other 49 percent.

The moment you refer to one elected politician as representing tens of
thousands of citizens, you are overlooking that the similarity of those
citizens –- as measured as members of one of your associations -– have
to be one-dimensional.

As I've said before, if politics were one-dimensional, your APR method
would work well.

Yet we both agreed that the politics in most nations is multi-dimensional.

So, your claims about each elected representative fully representing
each voter is not a valid mathematical claim.

This topic leads to the issue of understanding the difference between
"proportional" and "representative."

The concept of proportionality is one-dimensional, and is based on some
kind of measurement.  And that measurement is just a single number.
Remember that single numbers are what your APR method uses.

By contrast, representation involves the reality of politics being
multi-dimensional.  Any attempt to measure representation should -- to
be meaningful -- involve multiple measurements.

For example, the composition of a legislature can be measured not only
in terms of political party affiliation, but also can be measured by the
number of females versus males, and can be measured by religious
affiliation, and can be measured by financial net worth, and so on.  I'm
not suggesting that such measurements be made.  Rather, I'm suggesting
that a single representative has orientations that are not as simple as
political-party -- or "association" -- affiliation.

Getting back to the general topic of VoteFair versus APR, you wrote:

 > S:I hope the following last addition to this post will help to explain
 > why I see APR as most likely to help elect a legislative assembly
that would

 > 1)be less corrupted by private money;
 >
 > 2)be composed of reps who could be more easily held to account by their
 > respective electorates,
 >
 > 3)be composed of reps more skilled at explaining the merits of their own
 > agendas to their fellow reps, and more determined to form the alliances
 > and to make the compromises necessary so as to be an essential part of a
 > majority that can legislate at least part of their own respective
 > agendas; and thus
 >
 > 4)and assembly that would be more likely to make rational and evidence
 > based laws.

VoteFair ranking would also produce these same advantages.

 > S:I assume we agree that that when a citizen sees a member of the
 > assembly as speaking and acting in the ways entirely approved by that
 > citizen, then we would say that that member represents that citizen as
 > completely as possible. As you know, APR allows each citizen to
 > guarantee this by adding her vote to the “weighted vote” of the member
 > she most trusts to speak and act in this way. VoteFair does not do this
 > as efficiently.

I disagree.

You have worded the above paragraph in a convoluted way, so I have to
clarify:

* I do agree that "when a citizen sees a member of the [legislature] as
speaking and acting in the ways entirely approved by that citizen, then
we would say that that member represents that citizen as completely as
possible."

* My statement "I disagree" regards the word "this" in "VoteFair does
not do this as efficiently" as referring to the first sentence about
representation.

* I am not commenting on your second sentence, which refers to an
APR-specific feature.  This feature is a characteristic of the APR
method, but it does not imply full representation.

To be clear, you have not yet provided evidence, either mathematical or
otherwise, that supports your claim that your APR method would produce
better representation than what VoteFair ranking would produce.

Please continue to ask questions because I'm assuming that our
discussion is helping readers of this forum better understand subtle yet
important aspects of voting.

Richard Fobes

On 11/15/2015 12:06 PM, steve bosworth wrote:
 > Re: (22) APR: Steve's 22th dialogue with Richard Fobes
 >
 >>  Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 18:12:57 -0800
 >>  From: <Richard Fobes>ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
 >>  To: election-methods at lists.electorama.com
 >>  CC: stevebosworth at hotmail.com
 >>  Subject: Re: (21) APR: Steve's 20th dialogue with Richard Fobes
 >>
 >>  On 11/3/2015 9:16 AM, steve bosworth wrote:
 >>  > In this 21^st dialogue, let's return to the question of whether
APR or