[EM] (2): UK 'post mortem', 2nd discussion between Steve and Fred Gohlke

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Fri Jun 26 07:42:21 PDT 2015

Good Morning, Steve

This will be a slow process.  Empowering the people is not a trivial
issue.  It has many facets.

re: I see each person's somewhat different 'internal
     proportionality' as what would guide each citizen
     as how to participate or not ...

I agree, particularly with regard to "each citizen".  A democratic
process is (or, rather, should be) bottom-up.  It must be inclusive but
it cannot be coercive.  Each of us must be allowed to participate in the
political process to the full extent of our desire and ability.  In the
U. S., the people have been excluded from the political process for so
long that many of them have been schooled in the art of disinterest.
Such people will not trust an inclusive process until they have seen it
work.

When we devise an inclusive democratic process, some people will
participate, others will learn to participate, and some will never
participate.  From the point of view of the community, those who will
not participate in its government add no value to the political process.
  However, all the rest do, so the first step in devising an inclusive
process must be to distinguish between the two types of citizens.  It
has been shown, by Archon Fung of Harvard and many others, that, when
people who want to participate in the political process, deliberate on
the issues that concern the community, their efforts can be productive.

re: ... in electing a rep, e.g. to choose which candidate(s)
     to rank.

This raises the most important question in politics:  Who names the
candidates?  I see you mentioned this issue, as follows:

re: During APR's primary election you would rank (1,2,3, etc.)
     all the voluntary, social organizations that had applied
     directly to elect their own rep(s) during the next general
     election, i.e applied to the central electoral commission to
     become and official electoral 'association' ... You would
     rank these according to the degree to which each organization
     seemed to mirror your own.

How would I know, with any degree of certainty, the aims of the
organizations?  Is AARP an organization to help retired people or a
marketing enterprise?  Is it reasonable to think the lay citizen will do
the exhaustive research necessary to rank the multitude of organizations
seeking to increase their power and influence by placing an advocate in
the government?

You mentioned sending me a more complete explanation of APR.  I'd like
to see the explanation of the groundwork.  I don't think it's difficult
to arrange for the people to decide who they want to represent them in
their government and I'm anxious to see your approach.  I may offer a
counter-suggestion as a step in the slow process of re-thinking our
political infrastructure.

Oh, yes.  I'd better mention that I don't have the latest computer
doo-dads.  I do all my work in a DOS environment and copy it to Windows
2000 when I go on the internet.  There are some 'flash' things that
don't work on my computer.

Am I old-fashioned?  Yup.  I'm 86.  I work in text, learning new
whizz-bangs doesn't appeal to me.

Fred Gohlke