[EM] (18) APR: Steve's 18th dialogue with Richard Fobes

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Thu Jun 25 15:21:19 PDT 2015

On 6/15/2015 1:56 PM, steve bosworth wrote:
 > Yes, as a result of reading your book ("Ending The Hidden Unfairness…”),
 > I think I do understand how both VoteFair popularity and representation
 > rankings could work.  [...]
 > However, I still see it as offering less proportionality and
 > representativeness than APR for electing a legislative assembly. In
 > fact, you seem to acknowledge this APR advantage below:
 >
 > You explicitly say that you do not “dispute” the fact that “these
 > VoteFair-based linkages between a specific ballot and a specific
 > representative are not as obvious as … in your APR method”.
 >
 > “I do not dispute your claim that your APR method has the advantage that
 > a voter can directly associate their vote with a particular elected
 > representative's voting influence. …

My comments about your APR method being relatively easy to use, and
relatively easy to understand, have nothing to do with degree of
proportionality.

You don't mention VoteFair partial proportional ranking, so please read
or reread, the chapter titled "It's Party Time!" (in my book "Ending the
Hidden Unfairness in U.S. Elections").  And note that this method can
implement nearly full proportional ranking simply by increasing the
number of "statewide seats."

 > ... I see VoteFair's ... remaining arbitrariness in determining its
electoral districts ...

The best election methods cannot be gerrymandered, which means that
district boundaries can be adjusted in nearly any way (provided the
number of citizens or voters are the same in every district) and the
results will produce the same balance of power in the elected legislature.

, ... still wasting some votes (for example by its offering
 > a more limited choice of candidates for electors)

This is the flip side of your method's disadvantage that a ballot would
list too many candidates.  Remember that debates between dozens of
candidates become impractical.

 > However, against this APR advantage you again claim that it is more
 > vulnerable to money corruption. Several times before you have suggested
 > that APR would be more vulnerable in this regard but I still have not
 > seen your exact reasons for believing this. Please try again to specify
 > the nature of the extra vulnerability you see APR having in this regard.

Once again you claim that you do not understand how your APR method is
vulnerable to strategies that involve money.  Rather than repeating the
reasons I've already explained, I'll explain yet another reason for its
vulnerability.

You seem to be assuming that an interest group can shift from him a
nonpolitical organization to a political organization without
corruption.  The reality is that the moment an organization gains
significant influence in politics, (outside) money is used to pay
(inside) individuals to shift their opinions in ways that the financial
contributors desire.

As a simple example in the United States, the organization named the
Sierra Club became so popular that it begin to have an influence on
politics.  As a result, money was used to entice top leaders to support
positions that were not consistent with environmental protection, which
was a core priority for most Sierra Club members.

I suspect that Green parties in Europe have experienced something
similar, namely a shift in priorities as a result of monetary influence.

The point is that an organization that was previously trusted becomes at
least partially corrupt when enough money is supplied to influence key
members in the organization.  Note that money will be supplied in
proportion to the organization's influence on politics -- or more
specifically in proportion to the effectiveness of those contributions.

I'll argue that VoteFair ranking greatly reduces the effectiveness of
campaign contributions compared to most other election methods.

I think these are the main answers to your latest questions.

If you should want further details about how (the full system of)
VoteFair ranking achieves proportional results, please ask.

I continue to appreciate your progress in better understanding
election-method complexities.

Richard