[EM] UK "post mortem" with an 'initiative' requiring a 'referendum'

Juho Laatu juho.laatu at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 21:59:19 PDT 2015

Yes, initiatives are a good tool for forcing politicians to implement things that citizens clearly want but politicians for some reason might not.

Also indirect initiatives may often do the job. With "indirect intitiatives" I refer to initiatives that politicians have to take up and find a resolution (as opposed to "direct initiative" where voters would also make the decision for or against) (compare to indirect democracy and direct democracy).

In the USA there is one special problem in the electoral reforms. If one wants to make profound changes to the system, then one would have to change both the federal level rules and the rules in all individual states. One can make progress also by starting from smaller entities and progressing later towards the federal level, but of course that may take a long time.

Juho