[EM] The 'post mortem' discussions on UK radio (from Steve)

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Sun Jun 21 13:57:27 PDT 2015

Good Afternoon, Steve

re: "I would like to understand exactly what you mean by the difference
between 'internal and external proportionality'."

External proportionality is the relatively static division of political
interests, as reflected by party representation in a legislature.

Internal proportionality is the relatively dynamic division of political
interests as reflected by the range of thoughts and feelings about the
world around us that each of us carry within ourselves.

re: "I see the proportionality that could be guaranteed by APR (as
mentioned) above my comments to James Gilmour) would offer what you seem
to want:  'to choose representatives that represent the entire community'."

Although I've seen your comments about APR, I have no deep understanding
of the method.  As far as I've been able to tell, it is a way to weigh
votes for party candidates.  However, that is not what I'm concerned
about.  I'm concerned about the way influence on the political process
is distributed throughout the community.  I, and many others like me,
are not members of, and do not subscribe to the positions proclaimed by,
any party.  Can you tell me how much influence APR will give us on the
choice of candidates for public office?

re: "I see APR as especially offering 'the means to seek out and elect
those who have the particular blend of qualities needed to address and
resolve the issues that are of current concern'.

I'm not sure how I, who am not a 'joiner', would have the means to seek
out and elect such people.  Stated another way, how does APR let
non-partisans seek out the members of the community best suited to lead it?

Fred Gohlke