[EM] Approval seeded by MinGS (etrw)

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Wed Jun 3 19:43:06 PDT 2015

I was inspired to compare IA-MPO with my 3-slot  Strong Minimal Defense,
Top Ratings method.  That has a been shown
(by Kevin Venzke) to fail the Plurality criterion. This is his example:

21 A>C
08 B>A
23 B
11 C

B>A  31-21,    A>C  29-11,   C>B  32-31.

My method took account of 3 types of information: Top Ratings, Approval,
Maximum Approval Opposition.  Any candidate
with a MAO score higher their Approval score is disqualified, and the
undisqualified candidate with the highest TR score is
elected.

Top Ratings scores:   B31      A21    C11
(Implicit) Approval:   B31      A29    C32
MAO scores:              B32      A23     C31
(MPO scores:             B32      A31     C31)

SMD,TR elects A (after disqualifying  B) and  IA-MPO  elects  C (the
only candidate with a positive IA-MPO score).

> "It turns out that IA-MPO does satisfy a modified version of
> Plurality:  If A is ranked top above C on more ballots than C is
> ranked, then C cannot be the IA-MPO winner."

Forest, I'm not sure that this isn't the same as the normal Plurality
criterion.  The reference to "first preference" in the Plurality
criterion definition I think refers to exclusive first preference.

(I gather that Woodall's criteria are only about strict rankings from
the top, which may or may not be truncated,) I suppose it could and
should be extended to applying to ballots
that are symmetrically "completed" only at the top. Doing that to your
example gives:

41 A
18 C
41 B

Electing C on these ballots is insane and I don't see how electing C on
the original ballots (where some of the votes are given half to one
candidate and half to another) is
really any more justified.

Yes, this convinces me that the Plurality criterion should definitely be
applied to to the ballots symmetrically completed at the top and that we
can without regret
kiss  IA-MPO  goodbye.

Another version of the criterion is "Pairwise Plurality" (suggested a
while ago by Kevin or me): If candidate X's lowest pairwise score is
higher than candidate Y's highest
pairwise score, then Y must not be elected".

I like this. Both IA-MPO and  SMD,TR fail it, as in the two examples.

In yours the pairwise results are A=B 49-49,   A>C 33-18, B>C 33-18.

Getting back to Approval seeded by MinGS(etrw),  that is the least
appealing of 3 different method ideas (all attempting to meet the FBC)
I've had recently.
Given its FBC failure, I withdraw my support for it.

I'll post the other two soonish.

Chris  Benham