[EM] (20) APR: Steve's 20th dialogue with Richard Fobes

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Fri Jul 31 17:07:34 PDT 2015

On 7/16/2015 4:15 PM, steve bosworth wrote:
 > .... I see this as 'full' both because [APR], unlike VoteFair, allows
 > for no votes to be wasted, and gives each citizen's vote to a names rep
 > who she has directly or indirectly favored. In this sense only, APR
 > offers '100% percent proportionality'. As far as I understand it, your
 > 'VoteFair ranking' will still waste some vote and cannot guarantee that
 > each vote that counts will be added to the weighted vote of the rep each
 > citizen has directly or indirectly favored. Please correct me if I am
 > mistaken about this.

Apparently you don't yet understand VoteFair Ranking.  If a voter does
not support the winner of the first seat within a district, then that
voter's influence shifts to help choose the winner of the second seat
within that district.  If that voter also does not like the winner of
the second seat, then that voter's first-party preference shifts to
determine the number of winning candidates from that political party.

As another clarification, if a voter supports a very popular winner of
the first seat within the district, then some of the "surplus" influence
from this voter shifts to help choose the winner of the second seat.

In other words VoteFair Ranking does not "waste" any votes.

 > ....  Did you intend 'demographic' only
 > to mean 'geographic'? ....

Oops, yes, I intended to use the word geographic rather than demographic.

 > This results from my understanding that your VoteFair proposal
 > for California included both a number of individual voting districts, as
 > well a number of state-wide districts. If so, each individual district
 > could result from some gerrymandering. Am I mistaken?

Yes, you are mistaken.  Regardless of where the boundaries are drawn,
the results would not change in any significant way (assuming that each
district has the same number of voters).

 > ... please note that my new Endnote 8 in my article
 > explains that the number of candidates would be somewhat limited
 > in practice both by the rules for selecting candidates which would have
 > been pre-declared by each association, and by the countrywide rule that
 > each must provide and returnable deposit of $10,000 or a sufficiently
 > long list of registered supports.

Thank you for listening to feedback and adjusting your method to prevent
an excessive number of unpopular candidates.

 > .... APR has the advantage of
 > prompting citizens to observe, study, and rank as few or as many of all
 > the candidates running in the state or nation as they wish.

This "advantage" applies to any good voting method.

 > ...Please remember the different but related pre-selection role that
 > APR's own primary would play.

In a different message you seem to suggest that these primary elections
would be held privately, instead of being administered by the
government.  That approach would never be acceptable in U.S. elections.
  (From what I understand, Canada does have such an approach, and also
requires money to participate in that nomination process, but that
unfairness in Canadian elections is well-known.)

I'm pleased that you finally recognize the need for primary elections.

 >  > >R: I'll argue that VoteFair ranking greatly reduces the
effectiveness of
 >  > > > campaign contributions compared to most other election methods.
 >  > >

 > You have frequently asserted this but I have not yet seen that
 > you have 'argued' for this yet, especially in preference to APR,
 > i.e. how would VoteFair reduce the effectiveness of these contributions
 > more than APR would?

Again I'll refer you to our earlier discussions in this thread, where I
described vulnerabilities that apply to your APR method.  Those
vulnerabilities do not apply to VoteFair Ranking -- for the reasons
explained in my book.

If I had lots of time I would point to the specific messages, but alas
my time is quite limited.

 >  > In addition, "Ending The Hidden Unfairness In U.S. Elections" explains
 >  > in detail how money is currently used to influence election
results, and
 >  > your APR method is vulnerable to some of the same tactics, ...

 > Yes, but still no explanation of how APR is more vulnerable than
 > VoteFair in this regard.

What?  My book clearly explains the vulnerabilities, and explains how
VoteFair ranking is not vulnerable to these weaknesses.  Again, please
refer to earlier messages in this thread regarding which vulnerabilities
apply to APR, why they apply, and unfair strategies that can take
advantage of those vulnerabilities.

 > Only if a voter chooses to use Section B of the APR ballot might
 > it be a little more complex than the VoteFair ballot. ....

I disagree.

Just the fact that a voter must choose between filling out section A or
section B is a very significant barrier for many voters, and would be
the source of lots of confusion.

 >  > Why do you regard "remaining arbitrariness in determining its
electoral
 >  > districts" as a disadvantage? The best defense against gerrymandering
 >  > is to ensure that gerrymandering is not possible.

 > Yes, and APR does make it 'impossible', not VoteFair.

I disagree.  Please refer to my explanation above about how a voter's
influence shifts in ways that ensure the vote is not "wasted".

 > Please note that APR does not ' impose any limit on the number of
 > candidates' in the general election. This is when each APR citizen is
 > actually determining which individual candidates she favors. This degree
 > of ranking of choice is not offered in the general election of VoteFair.

Yes, VoteFair Ranking excludes political parties that are not popular
enough to justify offering candidates that have no chance of winning.

 >  >R: [….] If I have missed answering any of your latest questions,
please note
 >  > that your non-standard way of marking your most recent
 >  > comments/questions is difficult to follow (as someone else has also
 >  > pointed out).

 >  I hope my 'way of marking my most recent comments' now conforms
 > to Kristofer's suggestions.

You are getting closer.  Notice that your most recent content should not
be preceded by any angle brackets.  Expressed another way, the comments
with the most angle brackets are the oldest, and the comments without
any angle brackets are the newest.

Thank you for your continued interest in my opinions.

Richard Fobes