[EM] 19) APR: Steve's 19th dialogue with Richard Fobes

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Sat Jul 11 21:05:23 PDT 2015

On 6/30/2015 7:39 PM, steve bosworth wrote:
 >  >>>S: I accept that your method might mathematically at most provide
 > 'nearly full proportionality'. However, APR offers the advantage of
 > 'full proportionality'. Do you dispute this?

Yes I dispute this.  As I have said before (and I think someone else
made a similar point), your APR method does not achieve full
proportionality.  Specifically, with APR, not every voter is represented
by hisher first choice.

No method can achieve 100% percent proportionality.  If you want to say
that APR gets as close as is easily possible, then I'll agree with that
on the condition that you also acknowledge that VoteFair ranking also
can (if desired) achieve that same high level of proportionality.

 > ... APR also removes even the
 > small degree of gerrymandering that may continue with regard to the
 > establishment, for example, of any of your smaller than 'state wide
 > seats' for electing California's Legislative Assembly. Do you agree?

No I do not agree.

I do agree that your APR method cannot be gerrymandered.  But that
advantage occurs at the loss of demographic proportionality.

I don't understand what you are specifically saying above in the part of
your sentence that says:

 > ... for example, of any of your smaller than 'state wide
 > seats' for electing California's Legislative Assembly.

Regarding:

 >  >>>S: Perhaps you did not notice that Section A of each 'association's'
 > ballot would only list the candidates seeking to represent that
association.

If plurality is replaced, lots and lots of citizens will want to jump
into politics to fix what's wrong.  I don't see where the initial number
of candidates will be anything but large.

 >  > R: Remember that debates between dozens of candidates become
impractical.

 >  >>>S: As with every electoral system, candidates will debate with
 > whichever other candidates they choose. APR has the advantage of
 > prompting citizens to observe, study, and rank as few or as many of all
 > the candidates running in the state or nation as they wish.

You seem to say, on the one hand, that APR imposes no limits on the
number of candidates, yet on the other hand you say that comparing those
many candidates will not be a problem.

How do you envision voters finding the time to compare even more
candidates than currently?  Getting specific, the U.S. presidential
election currently has more than 20 candidates.  In APR there is only
one chance to rank candidates (because there is nothing like a primary
election), so how do people choose which candidates to focus on learning
more about in order to rank them?

 >  > I'll argue that VoteFair ranking greatly reduces the effectiveness of
 >  > campaign contributions compared to most other election methods.
 >
 >  >>>S: You have frequently asserted this but I have not yet seen that
 > you have 'argued' for this yet, especially in preference to APR.

What?  In multiple messages I have described multiple ways in which APR
is vulnerable to manipulation through the use of money.

In addition, "Ending The Hidden Unfairness In U.S. Elections" explains
in detail how money is currently used to influence election results, and
your APR method is vulnerable to some of the same tactics, plus APR is
vulnerable to new tactics that I have previously explained in earlier
messages to you.

 >  >>>S: Equally, I do not yet see that you have addressed my following
 > claims in our 18^th dialogue:
 >
 >  >> Aside from these important relative weaknesses of VoteFair when
compared
 >  > > to APR for electing an assembly, I see VoteFair's greater
mathematical
 >  > > complexity, its remaining arbitrariness in determining its electoral
 >  > > districts, and its still wasting some votes (for example by its
 > offering
 >  > > a more limited choice of candidates for electors) as seeming to
make it
 >  > > less likely (and less worthy than APR) to replace the existing
 > system in
 >  > > California. More Californians would understand APR.

Repeating myself, yes more voters/citizens would understand APR's
counting method.

Yet from a voter's perspective, marking ballots would be much simpler
using VoteFair ranking.  Only the calculations done on a computer are
"complex" in terms of VoteFair ranking not being simple to understand.

In contrast, figuring out how to mark an APR ballot is complex.  It is
APR's counting method that is simpler.

Why do you regard "remaining arbitrariness in determining its electoral
districts" as a disadvantage?  The best defense against gerrymandering
is to ensure that gerrymandering is not possible.

As for "[limiting the] choice of candidates for electors," the
voters/electors are the ones who do that limiting in the primary
election.  (In the primary election, VoteFair ranking does not need to
impose any limit on the number of candidates.)

As for worthiness for use in California, you are the person who is
promoting APR for use there.  VoteFair ranking would be a better choice.
  Yet the reality is that election reform in California is a very long
way into the future.

If I have missed answering any of your latest questions, please note
that your non-standard way of marking your most recent
comments/questions is difficult to follow (as someone else has also
pointed out).

As you may have noticed, I haven't had lots of time lately.  (I'm
writing this in haste.)  Yet if you do have specific questions, and they
are not repeats of questions I've already answered, please do ask.

Thank you for taking the time to better understand election-method
complexities.

Richard Fobes