[EM] (5) APR: Steve's 5th dialogue with Richard Fobes

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Sat Jan 17 10:11:26 PST 2015

To Steve:

I'll try a different approach to pointing out the disadvantages I see in
your APR voting method.  (Yes, the method also has advantages.)

If I were hired to point out how money could be used to influence a
government that used your APR method, here are strategies I would recommend:

1: Assuming "you" (the wealthy puppetmaster) own media sources (such as
radio stations, a TV network, newspapers, etc.), arrange to promote the
elected politicians whose weighted voting is high and who are willing to
listen to your advocacy in exchange for campaign contributions.

2: Use the same media ownership to report scandals involving the
politicians whose weighted voting is high and who have voted against
what you want.

3: Give campaign contributions to the elected politicians who are the
chairmen/chairwomen of a committee of importance (to you), and make sure
that all bills (proposed laws) contain some of what you want, in
addition to also containing what many voters want.  This strategy
greatly reduces the influence of a "celebrity" MP (member of Parliament)
who is not on the committee, and who opposes what you want.  (This
concept is related to the greatly reduced influence of women in U.S.
Congress because women have not yet risen into committee chairmanship
positions.)

4: Contribute money to several of the (seat-wise) most popular
associations, for the purpose of shifting their agendas at least
slightly in your direction.  This is similar to what "Republicans"
started doing in the United States in the 1980s to influence
Democratic-party candidates during primary elections (without also
giving much more than token money to Democratic candidates during the
"general"/runoff election).

5: Get involved in the development process when a promising new
association forms, especially if the association has lots of voter
support but not much financial support.  Exactly how this is done
depends upon information about the APR voting method that has not yet
been explained.

6: Give donations to churches and other organizations that are willing
to encourage their members to vote for your financially-backed
"celebrity" politicians (who are the ones promoted by your media
sources).  Also give money to people who have ties to drug dealers and
white-collar criminals, who in turn share some of the money with voters
who vote for your preferred celebrity politicians.

7: Very importantly, make sure that as many of your financially
supported politicians get to participate in the negotiation process that
forms a ruling coalition.  Support those politicians with expert
negotiators whose hidden agenda is to favor your political interests.

In case you don't recognize the pattern, these strategies -- except for
numbers 3 and 7 -- take advantage of fairness weaknesses of your APR
voting method.  The strategies numbered 3 and 7 work in existing voting
methods, yet they become more effective under the APR voting method.

My purpose in using this approach to point out disadvantages of your
method is to help you understand the earlier comments that I and others
have written.

I don't have time to do direct editing on your summary description, but
I do have specific suggestions for how you can improve it:

* Insert an extra step before the primary election that explains what
happens before the primary election.  Currently "Step 1" covers both the
primary election itself and events leading up to the primary.

* Your description does not clarify how a non-seat-holding organization
without candidates on the ballot can become qualified to have candidates
on the ballot.  Also it does not clarify what is needed for an
association to win its first seat.

* Avoid fractions!  The average voter barely understands percentages.
If you do use percentages, put them in parentheses.  For example you can
refer to "one representative out of 500 representatives (0.2%)" as a
threshold criteria.

*Replace the following words with clear and unambiguous words: "contain
all citizens as their voting members"

*Replace the following words ...: "proved not to be sufficiently popular"

*Replace the following words ...: "if it has attracted at least one
500-th of all the registered voters as its official electors"

* Remove the unneeded words: "would retain all the votes they had
received. Thus each"

* Remove the goals and judgments that you continue to re-insert into
your descriptions.  Just state the facts.  If this request isn't yet
clear, assume that a computer programmer needs to read your description
and then be able to write software that implements your method.

When you have revised your summary description, please post it for
further feedback on this forum.  I'm guessing that as your description
becomes clearer, then feedback from myself and others will become more
useful to you.

Your APR voting method does have some interesting advantages in spite of
its disadvantages.  As I've said before, it might be useful for use in
some organizations.

Richard Fobes