[EM] Ideas for reducing computational burden in very large elections

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Thu Dec 17 13:37:28 PST 2015

Hey Brian,

I like it a lot.

What if you used the L_1 norm instead of the L_2 norm to normalize the
ballot vectors?  In other words, divide by the sum of the absolute values
of the ratings instead of the root sum squares.

It seems to me that this might work even better since then the contribution
to the sum of ballots is the same for each voter, and therefore inherently
proportional even with one pass if the voters coordinate a little.  The
other passes can then be thought of as automatic coordination adjustments.