[EM] MinMax Losing Votes (equal-ranking whole) Margins

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Sat Apr 18 11:13:29 PDT 2015

I've discovered that this method fails both Clone-Winner and Clone-loser.

Say we have this example of the scenario specified in the "Chicken
Dilemma" criterion definition:

34 C
33 A>B
32 B

MMLV(erw) scores:   C34,   A33,  B32.    Pairwise  C>A>B, so
Margins-Sort is happy with that order and elects C.

Now say we add two clones of C  (X and Y) to give:

13 C>Y>X
11 X>C>Y
10 Y>X>C
33 A>B
32 B

C>Y 24-10,   Y>X 23-11,   X>C 21-13.

C/X/Y >A 34-33,   A>B 33-32,   B>C/X/Y  65-34

MMLV(erw) scores:  A33,  B32,  C13,  X11, Y10.

Pairwise X>C and Y>X. The MMLV(erw) score margin between the latter pair
is the lowest, so Margins-Sort gives the order A>B>C>Y>X
and so elects A.  To not fail Clone-Winner the winner has to be one of
C, X, Y.

Say instead of cloning the winner we have X and Y be clones of  A:

34 C
12 A>Y>X>B
11 X>A>Y>B
10 Y>X>A>B
32 B

A>Y 23-10,  Y>X 22-11,   X>A 21-12.

C>A/X/Y 34-33,    A/X/Y>B 33-32,   B>C  65-34.

MMLV(erw) scores: C34,  B32,  A12,  X11,  Y10

This is pairwise out of order, and Margins-Sort breaks the score-margins
tie between X>A and Y>X by demoting the lower-ranked candidate,
so it goes  C>B>A>Y>X, then B>C>A>Y>X and then is content and elects B.
To meet Clone-Loser the winner has to remain C.

For these failures to occur there had to be a sub-cycle inside the
Smith-set, which I think would be extremely unlikely in any real election.

I think the problem can be fixed.  I suggest replacing  MMLV(erw)
Margins-Sort with  *MMLV(erw) Margins-Sort Elimination*.  We order the
candidates
as before (with MMLV(erw) Margins-Sort) but instead of simply electing
the candidate highest in that order, we eliminate (drop from the
ballots) the
lowest-ordered candidate, recalculate the MMLV(erw) scores, and repeat
until one candidate remains (or giving the same result and saving time,
until
3 candidates remain and then elect the highest-ordered candidate).

In all the example elections I gave in earlier posts on  MMLV(erw)
Margins , this method gives the same winners.

To take the clone-winner example I gave,  MMLV(erw) Margins-Sort gives
the order  A>B>C>Y>X.  After eliminating X, C's smallest number of votes
in a pairwise
defeat (C's MMLV(erw) score) changes from 13 back to 34.  Then
Margins-Sort gives the order C>A>B>Y, and  then  we eliminate Y and C wins.

In the clone-loser example I gave MMLV(erw) Margins-Sort gives the order
back to 33.
Then Margins-Sort  gives the order C>A>Y>B and then we eliminate B and
C wins.

Chris Benham