[EM] How choice of voting systems depend on amount of participants

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Mon Sep 29 23:26:42 PDT 2014

On 9/29/2014 9:10 PM, dikov dikov wrote:
 >  >The number of _choices_ (candidates) does make a big difference on the
 >  >results. In contrast, the number of _voters_ does not make a big
 >  >difference (except that ties are more likely if there are a small
number
 >  >of voters).
 >
 > So if a contest assumes only one winner than any method is valid, right?

"Any method is valid" is not what I was trying to say.  Those of us in
this forum have different opinions about which voting method is "valid."

Getting back to what I think you originally asked, when a specific
voting method has been chosen, the difference between lots of voters and
a few voters does not matter -- in the mathematical sense.

(As Kristofer pointed out, a small number of voters does make it easier
for the voters to communicate among themselves for strategy purposes.)

So, to be clear, if you choose voting method A, the number of voters
does not cause counting problems if there are lots of voters instead of
a few voters.  (This statement applies regardless of which voting method
A you choose -- except for the case of instant-runoff voting when there
are districts involved.)

But, if you also consider voting method B, and compare it to voting
method A, that is a very different issue.  It's very complicated, and it
is the primary topic discussed in this forum.

Richard