[EM] General PR question (from Andy Jennings in 2011)

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Sun Sep 28 09:48:19 PDT 2014

Yes, there is a tradeoff between proportionality and support.  Kristofer's
work speaks to that much better than I can.  But personally, I think
proportionality is paramount.  If you're choosing a "representative body",
then mirroring the electorate is the ultimate goal, isn't it?  I like
Monroe's metric.  If the voters can be divided up equally and assigned to
the winners in a way that each voter is perfectly happy with his
representative, to me that's a perfect representative body.

But any such method must be non-sequential, and the main problem with a
non-sequential method is the losers might be able to complain, "I would've
been elected if the council only had 4 seats, but since it has 5 seats, I
lost."  Is the answer, "Yes, the optimal 4-person council included you but
the optimal 5-person council didn't," good enough?

If I remember correctly, one of my goals in sending that email was to start
exploring what multi-winner outcomes felt intuitive to people.  A purpose
that you continued later on.  I wonder if you discovered the same thing I
did.  That not many people respond.  And that most of us don't have strong
intuitions about tricky situations in multi-winner outcomes.

If we could come up with a large set of multi-winner scenarios which had
answers that felt intuitive to most people, we could use it to evaluate all
existing systems and to quickly get a good handle on any new systems that
are proposed.

That's why I made a point to try to respond to your post, indicating which
answers felt best to me and how strongly I felt about them.

~ Andy