[EM] How choice of voting systems depend on amount of participants

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Thu Sep 25 09:42:18 PDT 2014

On 9/25/2014 7:46 AM, dikov dikov wrote:
 > Basically, I had an idea that upon setting a contest, one would have a
 > pull down menu with voting systems accompained with comments explaining
 > under which circumstances what system would give better results.

Describing which voting method has which characteristics is very
challenging.  To see why, look at this table in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_system#Compliance_of_selected_systems_.28table.29

Typically when there is a choice of voting method, there is a table that
shows who the winner is for each of the voting methods.  This is what's
done at VoteFair.org.

 > I exactly assumed that for small polls (say 10 voters) a simple majority
 > with only one winner can be more favorable than scoring all entries in
 > ballots.

I don't understand what you mean here.

A simple majority is only assured if there are just two
candidates/choices.  (Except in the case of a tie.)

If one of the candidates/choices gets a majority (more than half the
votes), then all the "good" voting methods would declare that
candidate/choice as the winner.  This means the choice of voting method
does not matter if there is a majority winner.

The number of _choices_ (candidates) does make a big difference on the
results.  In contrast, the number of _voters_ does not make a big
difference (except that ties are more likely if there are a small number
of voters).

Richard Fobes