[EM] A "top 3" to replace the "top 2"

Dick Burkhart dickburkhart at comcast.net
Mon Sep 22 14:56:47 PDT 2014

It is well known, of course, that in certain situations Borda will not give good results if one side votes strategically while the other side does not. This would not happen in the normal course of partisan politics.

Take your example:

55%: A>B>C
35%: B>C>A
10%: C>B>A

If B and C represent moderate and right wing Republicans, while A represents the Democrats, then the Republican parties are voting strategically by listing the Democratic candidate last. However the Democrats are ignoring the strength of their principle foe, the moderate Republicans, by listing their candidate second instead of last. Actually, if the Dems do a little math, they would know that they could win easily by instructing their followers to randomly rank the B and C candidates second (2 points) or third (1 point), so that on the average they get 1.5 points.

Then the points for the Democrats are proportional to 0.55 * 3.0 + 0.35 * 1 + 0.10 * 1 = 1.650 + 0.450 = 2.100
And for the moderate Republicans we get                        0.55 * 1.5 + 0.35 * 3 + 0.10 * 2 = 0.825 + 1.250 = 2.075
And for the right wing Republicans we get                        0.55 * 1.5 + 0.35 * 2 + 0.10 * 3 = 0.825 + 1.000 = 1.825

So A wins.  More generally, we can devise a formula for splitting the Dems vote between B an C to guarantee that the Dems will always win in this kind of situation:

frac/pts  A   B    C
x               3  p   3-p
y               1   3   2
z                1  2    3

Here x > 0.5 is A's fraction of the vote, y < 1 - x is B's fraction, z = 1 - x - y is C's fraction,
and p is the fractional # points (the vote split) assigned to candidate B by the Democrats.

Then 1.0 < p < 4 - (y+1)/x guarantees that A wins. This is derived by computing
the Democrats sum of points  as   Sum_A= 3x + y + z           = 1 + 2x,
the moderate Republicans as         Sum_B= px + 3y + 2z       = 2 + (p-2)x + y,
and the right wing Republicans as Sum_C= (3-p)x + 2y + 3z = 3 - px - y

and then requiring that Sum_A > Sum_B and Sum_A > Sum_C.

The second inequality reduces to px > 2 - 2x - y > 1 - x, or p > 1/x - 1 which is always less than 1 since x > 1/2, so any p > 1 will do.
The first inequality reduces to px < -1 + 4x - y, or p < 4 - (y+1)/x. Note that if x = 2/3 and y = 1/3, then any value of p < 2 would do.

Of course if the Democrats lack a majority in this situation, they would do well to form an alliance with a progressive third party, so that they could still win if the Democrats plus the progressives were a majority. Thus third and fourth parties would be strengthened, along with voter turnout and less mudslinging.

Dick Burkhart
4802 S Othello St,  Seattle, WA  98118
206-721-5672 (home)  206-851-0027 (cell)
dickburkhart at comcast.net