[EM] Preferential Party-List Proportional Representation (PPLPR)

Vidar Wahlberg canidae at exent.net
Fri Oct 31 14:52:06 PDT 2014

Some of you may remember that I once brought up the topic of a
party-list voting system with preferential votes. Unfortunately I've not
found much information about such systems, so on a couple occasions I've
tried creating such a system myself. Last time I wrote about it on this
list my attempts at creating a such system did not lead to anything
useful, but a couple weeks ago I thought of another approach to the
problem. This lead to a system I've called "Preferential Party-List
Proportional Representation" (or PPLPR for short). Now I'd like you to
take a look at the system, and point out flaws and weaknesses.

I have implemented the system in JavaScript so you can easily test it
out. There may be bugs in the implementation, there are rounding errors
as well as floating points issues (minor impact), and there are limits
on how many parties it can handle (execution time increase drastically
relative to amount of parties, you'll get an warning at 10 or more
parties in the election). You can find it here:
http://exent.net/~canidae/valg/pplpr/
Note that the vote parser is fairly simplistic, each line must start
with amount of votes, followed by space, and then the preference order
separated with ">". No equal ranking allowed (it isn't implemented in
the voting system either, although I believe it should be possible).

I find it easier to explain by example, so I'll start with simple
examples and progress to some more complex ones. In the examples I'll
have a total of 100 votes for simplicity.
I've created a spreadsheet with these examples which calculates the
steps, it may aid understanding this textual explanation:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a2O1i7S2-8VUgBGpjShbGeec0pnMtzE3Jv8ErePHrxY

Example 1, three parties, L and R voters with C as 2nd preference:
 Votes:
 40 L>C
 20 C
 40 R>C

 Step 1:
 Count up support for each party using only the first preference. This
 result will serve as a base for the next step:
 L: 40%
 C: 20%
 R: 40%

 Step 2a:
 Iterate through all unique combination of 1st preference on votes
 (horizontal header of matrix), and move voter support to the 2nd
 preference on the votes. This will create a matrix:
     |   L   |   C   |   R    - "Excluded" 1st preference
 ----+-------+-------+-------
   L |   -   | 40+ 0 | 40+ 0  - L is not 2nd pref. on any C or R votes
   C | 40+20 |   -   | 40+20  - C is 2nd pref. on both L and R votes
   R | 40+ 0 | 40+ 0 |   -    - R is not 2nd pref. on any C or R votes
 Sum |  100  |   80  |  100

 Do note that the value before the plus sign is the result from Step 1,
 while the value after is from the 2nd preference on the votes.

 Step 2b:
 In this step we want to calculate how the votes previously given to C
 and R would be distributed if L was removed from the election and votes
 given to L instead was given to the 2nd preference. We'll also do the
 same as if C and R were removed. Here's a table refering to Step 2a
 that helps explaining the calculation (x0 refers to the result for the
 parties in Step 1):
     |   L   |   C   |   R
 ----+-------+-------+-------
  L0 |   L1  |   L2  |   L3
  C0 |   C1  |   C2  |   C3
  R0 |   R1  |   R2  |   R3
 Sum |   S1  |   S2  |   S3

 Using the table above as reference, the calculation looks like this:
    |       L       |       C       |       R
 ---+---------------+---------------+---------------
  L |       -       | L2*(L0+R0)/S2 | L3*(L0+R0)/S3
  C | C1*(L0+C0)/S1 |       -       | C3*(L0+C0)/S3
  R | R1*(C0+R0)/S1 | R2*(C0+R0)/S2 |       -

 Which yields the following result:
    |   L   |   C   |   R
 ---+-------+-------+-------
  L |   -   |  40%  |  24%
  C |  36%  |   -   |  36%
  R |  24%  |  40%  |   -

 Step 2c:
 Calculate the average for each row, this will be the result used in the
 next step (in this case there are no more steps and it will instead be
 the final result):
 L: (40+24)/2 = 32%
 C: (36+36)/2 = 36%
 R: (24+40)/2 = 32%

Example 2, four parties, one very large, three small:
 This is an exaggerated example, mostly to demonstrate that large
 parties can't "vote away" opposition.
 Votes:
 90 A>B
  0 B