[EM] Associational Proportional Representation (APR)

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Sat Oct 25 22:01:14 PDT 2014

I'm responding (via Bcc) to Steve Bosworth's earlier reply to my
I no longer have a copy of the forum message, so please pardon the
creation of a new thread about a conversation in progress.  For context,
see below.

Steve, I only had time to quickly look at your two flowcharts (which
were in PDF format, in contrast to your ".doc" documents which I don't
open for antivirus reasons), but ...

I saw that your Associational Proportional Representation (APR) method
involves eliminating a candidate based on having the fewest number of
votes (after possible transfers of votes).

I favor methods that look deeper than each voter's currently top
remaining choice.  I don't like methods that only look at one voter's
currently "top choice" at a time.  Why?  They have the same weaknesses
as plurality voting and instant-runoff voting (IRV), which look at which
candidate gets the most, or fewest (respectively) "votes."

Methods that involve the transfer of each voter's vote are open to
strategic manipulations.  You asked for more specifics.  As a partial
answer, the election results are vulnerable to strategies that control
which candidates are nominated.  Usually this manipulation involves
campaign contributions (with the real source of funds for "spoiler"
candidates being hidden).

All voting methods fail some fairness criteria, so yours does too.
Which ones?  I don't know.  That requires time-consuming analysis.
Although your method is not instant-runoff voting, it is similar enough
that I suspect it would fail many of the same fairness criteria that IRV
fails.

Of course you can correctly claim that there are no fairness criteria
for proportional methods, yet I believe your method involves underlying
algorithms that can be applied to a single-winner method, and that
related single-winner method has to fail some fairness criteria.

As for the method's proportional aspects, the use of sub-groups --
called "associations" in this case -- introduces what can be thought of
as similar to the mathematics of "rounding" numbers too early (instead
of waiting until all the calculations are done, and then rounding).

Expressed another way, both the Republican and Democratic parties in the
U.S. are heavily controlled by the same relatively few people, and the
result is that voters do not control either political party.  I believe
that in Canada each party nominates a candidate using voting at a
convention, but admission to the convention requires paying a fee, so
that too prevents a majority of voters from controlling any political party.

Looking into the _distant_ future, voting methods will handle
calculations deeply in ways that do not involve any extra layer of
subgroups or rounding, and possibly without involving political parties.
  In the meantime we are stuck with subgroups such as the "electoral
college" for U.S. Presidential elections, and parliaments/Congress/etc.
that add an extra voting layer (compared to the future when voters
eventually will directly vote on issues of concern).  Why not begin now
to get rid of the need for subgroups?

I am not saying that your voting method is bad.  It might be quite good
for some voting situations!

I'm just saying -- since you specifically asked me -- that my preference
is to skip over slight improvements and jump ahead to advanced voting
methods that look deeply into ballot preferences (beyond one current
"top" choice at a time) and that avoid the need to segment voters into
subgroups.

For further context I'll say that years ago a group of people within a
local food co-op came up with a very carefully designed way of electing
a group of "representatives" for the purpose of having them make
decisions instead of letting all the members vote on important
decisions.  In spite of how well-designed and "fair" (neutral) the
process was, neither the people who wanted the co-op to sell a few meat
items nor the people who wanted absolutely no meat in the store were
willing to let such a group make a decision about that issue.  The point
of this example is that each layer of decision-making -- even if it gets
adjusted at every election based on the ballots -- does not truly
provide proportional representation.  As for what a truly proportional
solution to that "meat" conflict would have been, I'm not sure.  Selling
fewer meat items than what a majority of voters wanted would still fail
to represent the members who didn't want any meat sold.  (It was not
clear who was in the majority, and probably a middle third of the
members would have been OK with certain meat choices but not other meat
choices.)

Ultimately voters don't care about the process.  That's why so few
citizens "do the math" to discover why they are not represented by the
people "they" elect.  This same dilemma applies to all the voting
methods discussed here.  Here we are not only "doing the math," but we
are developing "the math" relating to voting methods.  Let's eliminate
extra layers and stop using "start-at-the-top" blinders as we look at
each ballot.

Thank you for your interest in my opinion.  I hope this helps, either to
refine your ideas or to refine ways to "sell" whatever method you like
best.  (All of us here are learning how to "sell" our favorite method(s).)

BTW, thank you for creating the flowcharts.  They do help clarify your
method.  (Alas, graphics on websites seem to be the only way to make
flowcharts easy to view, so they are not suitable here in this forum.)

Richard Fobes